The Coatesville Youth Initiative (CYI) is seeking a full-time Director of Development and Communications to provide professional support to the executive director and board of directors in efforts to increase fund development and create awareness for the execution of our mission. The director of development and communications will take the lead role in resource development and management with a special emphasis on donor relations, and manage an effective communications plan to support our mission and strategic direction. Familiarity with youth development, education, substance prevention, and community mobilization a plus. The director of development and communications will work with the executive director, board members, donors, volunteers, staff and youth to advance the mission of the organization by executing a comprehensive development plan focused on current needs and future growth. Must be a strong, independent leader who can function without direct reports. A minimum of five (5) years of experience, a pleasant demeanor and the ability to embrace our CYI guiding principles is required.
The Coatesville Youth Initiative fosters collaboration among and between all members, agencies and organizations in the greater Coatesville community where youth and young adults can build strong character to reach their full potential. Our work involves training youth leaders, enhancing family relationships, building community collaboration, and encouraging prevention education.
Position Description: The Coatesville Youth Initiative Director of Development and Communications is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the executive director. This staff member works with the executive director, board members, donors, volunteers and staff to advance the mission of the organization by establishing and executing a comprehensive development and communications plan focused on current needs and future growth. The director of development and communications must be a strong, independent professional who can function without direct reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development Strategy: Establish, manage and lead the development strategy to achieve an annual fundraising target that supports CYI programming and operations. All tasks will be accomplished in concert with the executive director and board of directors.
- Nongovernment Grant Support: Ascertain opportunities to maximize gifts and grants, including research to identify new individual, foundation and institutional prospects, including government grants. Responsible for drafting and finalizing required proposals and all proposal components to ensure they are submitted in accordance with requirements. Appropriately correspond and follow up with grantors.
- Donor Relations and Stewardship: Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate, foundation and individual donors. Develop and grow the existing donor base, increase the number of donors and evaluate the capacity giving of existing donors. Strong focus on major giving.
- Marketing/Public Relations: Oversee a communications and marketing plan that clearly articulates the strategic message for the organization, working in concert with CYI staff. Oversee the development of collateral materials for the CYI; ensure all publications are compelling, relevant, and accurate to move the organization’s mission strategically forward; establish/maintain positive relationships with media contacts; coordinate the strategic placement of foundation-related stories and program coverage across all media platforms; manageorganization website; implement strategies surrounding social media; and provide messaging support for all staff and board.
- Donor Management and Reporting/Metrics: Confidentially manage donor information and maintain all records. Acknowledge all gifts and pledges in a timely and professional manner. Manage all donor reports, mailing and metrics through the organizational fundraising database.
- Events: Collaborate with community partners to identify, plan and participate in events by and on behalf of CYI; work with committees and provide oversight for the planning, execution and follow-up for major CYI events, for example the Coatesville Back to School Event, Coatesville Youth Conference and Annual Fundraising Event.
- Community Engagement: Serve as the CYI ambassador and advocate; represent CYI to current and potential partners both locally and regionally; publicize and raise community awareness of the activities of the organization, its programs, goals, mission and the needs of its users. Identify and create opportunities to enhance CYI’ visibility, position and credibility within the community.
- Demonstrated fundraising achievements and grant writing ability, with demonstrated success in growing the donor base across foundations, individuals and corporations and donor relations required. Proven track record of successful fundraising/asset development activities.
- Undergraduate degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience at a nonprofit in a development role. Familiarity with youth development, education, substance prevention, and community mobilization a plus.
- CFRE credentialed a plus; membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) a plus.
- Passion for working with youth and demonstrated ability to communicate with and fully engage youth and their families as partners.
- Strong leader with vision, high energy, and the ability to motivate, lead and inspire the board, staff, collaborating partners and donors. Exemplary relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with donors and prospective funders. Ability to point to specific examples of initiating operational strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Experience with donor and gift management software required. Knowledge of prospect research tools preferred.
- Demonstrated success partnering with a board leadership to cultivate board engagement and ensure committed, consistent participation in fundraising efforts.
- Recognized public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Demonstrated and effective written and verbal communication skills. Exceptional communicator, internally and externally, both orally and in writing; proven ability to respond clearly and effectively to sensitive public and media inquiries while maintaining a positive public image.
- Demonstrated skills managing a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy to create awareness and a consistent brand identity across all platforms.
- Ability to understand and work with diverse constituencies and multiple viewpoints.
- Excellent writing skills with significant grant writing (governments, foundation, corporate) and donor correspondence experience.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a high performing team. Must be flexible, have initiative, and operate at a high level of productivity. Ability to collaborate and delegate a must.
- Impeccable judgement; professional, enthusiastic, confident self-starter.
- Skillful in office-based computer applications: MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power-Point, Outlook).
- Skilled with use of the Internet & social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) preferred.
About the Coatesville Youth Initiative: The mission of the Coatesville Youth Initiative is to contribute to a vibrant future for Coatesville by engaging youth in experiences that support their success in school and in life, and by uniting a wide range of partners to make the community better for everyone.
Competitive Salary and Benefits commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume, as an attachment, via e-mail to Daniel J Brannen at: email@example.com
Applications without both resume and cover letter will not be considered. All applications must be received no later than 12/6/19.
The Coatesville Youth Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.