2016_MHF_Foundation_logo_STK.png
Mauria_Headshot_2020v2.jpg
AFP-GLAC
Chapter President
Mauria McPoland

President’s Message

Dear AFP-GLAC members and friends,

Coming Together as a Community

For the intro to the President’s message this month, I’d like to echo what Kevin J. Foyle, CFRE, Chair-elect of AFP Global wrote recently:

“I encourage us all, in this time of uncertainty, to come together (this time virtually) and utilize our AFP networks to learn from each other, to share with each other and to comfort each other. We will make it through this. We will continue to move our missions forward.” https://afpglobal.org/coming-together-community

Life has changed in the blink of an eye! As a chapter, we have transitioned  planning of in-person educational events and luncheons to those connecting via our computers, tablets and phones. Now, in this challenging environment, our goal is to provide AFP-GLAC members with substantive education of core fundraising topics (along with CFRE CE Credits).

We have four webinars scheduled for you in the month of April. Thank you to our longtime partners and friends Campbell & Company and CCS Fundraising for their informative webinars specifically for members. And we look forward to learning with our new partners GiveSmart and Ter Molen Watkins & Brandt as they provide outstanding virtual sessions later in the month. Certainly, we cannot forget AFP Global who will inform both members and nonmembers about the benefits of AFP membership on April 22. We hope you can join us for these exciting presentations!

I had the opportunity to attend AFP ICON virtually at the end of March. I missed travelling to Baltimore and connecting with colleagues in person, but I must admit, participating at my computer was a unique experience. This ICON, moderated by Alice Ferris, MBA, CFRE, ACFRE was outstanding, and I hope to secure some of these sessions for our chapter to view. A highlight was a chat with Kay Sprinkel Grace, who is the recipient of the AFP Outstanding Fundraising Professional Award this year. You may remember Kay, as she was our keynote speaker at the 2019 National Philanthropy Day Conference and Awards Luncheon.

Previously, we had mentioned a member survey coming your way – be on the lookout now for a mini-survey intended to gather your thoughts and ideas for the upcoming months. And as always, you can send any questions/concerns to communications@afpglac.org.

We are excited to recognize Methodist Hospital Foundation as being our first sponsor for National Philanthropy Day Conference and Awards Luncheon. We are in the planning phase for our 35th Anniversary Celebration on Friday, November 13, 2020.

In closing, we truly are in this together!  Know that the AFP-GLAC board of directors are here for you and we hope you, your families and colleagues are well and stay well.

Sincerely,
Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC
President
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay home.

Career Opportunities
job-board-shutterstock.jpg

Career Opportunities

If you are an AFP-GLAC member, you are automatically added to the career opportunity distribution list.

POST AN OPENING to find new professionals for your organization here: https://community.afpglobal.org/afpcagreaterlosangeleschapter/career/center

FIND A NEW OPPORTUNITY for yourself here:  https://community.afpglobal.org/afpcagreaterlosangeleschapter/career/center

Recognition from AFP Global

AFPTenStar2020.jpg

2020 Ten Star Awards

Congratulations to the AFP-GLAC chapter that achieved the 2020 Ten Star Award (again)!

The Chapter Ten Star/Ten Star Gold Awards honor those chapters who have accomplished many of the key objectives outlined in the current AFP Strategic Plan.

Membership
Update

Taryn Gold, AFP Global’s Associate Vice President of Chapter Engagement

“To empower individuals and organizations to practice ethical fundraising through professional education, networking, research and advocacy”

AFP’s mission

As a lot of us are practicing physical distancing, we wanted you to know AFP Global provides many benefits for our members at the click your mouse. Below are a few things you can access anytime from the AFP Global website once you log in:

Did You Know

• Feeling the need to stay connected with other fundraisers? Check out AFP Connect, AFP’s online discussion platform only for members. New in-depth conversations are starting all the time. https://community.afpglobal.org/home
  • Located in the AFP Chapter Resource Hub you’ll find AFP’s Covid-19 Resource Guide, “resources to help guide you in your fundraising, donor communications, and more.” Covid-19 Resource Guide
  • AFP Webinars bring the rock stars of fundraising to your screen for an hour of the latest and greatest fundraising tips and trends. Join us for the next webinar or check out our many recorded sessions available any time! afpglobal.org/webinars
  • AFP’s “Hot Topics provide brief overviews of all the important topics and concepts in fundraising, including new trends and the tried and true.” Log in to access over 25 articles. https://afpglobal.org/hot-topics

Save the Date for an upcoming FREE webinar: AFP Membership: What’s it in for You? that will take place at 12:00pm on Wednesday, April 22, 2020. Members and non-members are welcome – if you know a nonmember in fundraising, please send them this -  Register Now

Later this month, a short membership survey specifically on how we can best support you during this crisis will be emailed. Please complete this to help us plan to better serve you.

If you have questions about membership we are here to help! Please feel free to reach out to us: Melanie Elliott, VP, Membership – melhelliott@gmail.com or Kristina Lamas, Chair of Member Engagement, klamas@pasadenahumane.org.

If your membership is about to expire or you need to renew, click here: Join AFP

new_members.jpeg

Welcome to New Members!

Kathleen Ash
Perri Dombroski
Bernie Gore
Sara Linden
J
onathan Lipton
Stephanie Lopez
Adam McCormack
Greg Schwabe
LeAnne Scroggs
Monique Sewell
Jackie Suiter
Danielle Waldschmidt Gay

Thank you to Renewed Members!

Logan Allison
Celeste Anlauf
Marisol Barrios, MSPA, APR
Tisa W. Blackmore
Janet Dial, EdD
Jennifer Ellspermann
Amy J. Epman
Megan Filippello
Jay Grigsby
Yvette Herrera
Rachel Koretz
Aviva Kraus
Constance S. Maguire, CFRE
Paul M. Netzel
Cristin O'Leary Jones, MA
David Prentice
Somer Sherwood
Alexa Dane Smith, MED
John C Spokes, CFRE, BA
Sok King Tng, MS
Elizabeth Weinberg

Thank you to the following organizations who have renewed their membership!

Cal State LA
Netzel Grigsby Associates, Inc.

Members on the Move

Members_On_The_Move-1501.jpg

Are you a member who has been promoted recently or earned the CFRE credential? Please let us know so we can broadcast to our membership. Send info to: communications@afpglac.org

Education Update
education.jpg

Bringing educational webinars right to you!

The need for education continues  - only our delivery mechanism has changed! For now and the near future, AFP-GLAC is providing educational opportunities online with a particular focus on getting professionals like you up to speed with the technology to maintain and grow fundraising revenue at your organization.

Wednesday, April 8 at 1 pm

Key elements of Prospect Management by CCS Fundraising - 1 CFRE CE

Tuesday, April 14 at 2 pm How to Pivot to a Virtual Fundraising Event by GiveSmart - 1 CFRE CE
Wednesday April 22 at Noon
AFP Member Benefits by AFP Global Staff

Late April Date Ter Molen Watkins & Brandt webinar

We hope to bring our AFG-GLAC chapter members together again virtually in May. Stay tuned as we work out the details.

Yvette Herrera, VP, Education yherrera@netzelgrigsby.com

I.D.E.A.  Update

2019AFPFriendsOfDiversityLogo.jpg

I.D.E.A. (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access) Committee

"More than ever it is important that funders consider giving from a different lens."  Thus begins an article by Lori Villarosa in the March 30 edition of The NonProfit Quarterly (link below).  

She continues, "And as we find ourselves in times of growing uncertainty, it is important to understand our responsibility as grant makers in supporting organizations who have been disproportionately affected by Covid-19 – specifically organizations who serve communities of color.

As the article states, “more than good intentions are required to reach those who will feel the brunt of the pandemic’s impact.”

Read more to uncover some effective ways to incorporate a racial equity or racial justice lens in your grantmaking, in order to serve communities that need it most.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/covid-19-using-a-racial-justice-lens-now-to-transform-our-future/

Lisa Baxter, Chair, I.D.E.A. lisa_baxter@mlk-chf.org

Philanthropy & Volunteers Update

philanthropy.jpg

Community is more essential than ever. And as AFP GLAC, we are that community of 400+ members to lean on and support each other. While business is changing right now, we also know this time will pass, and when it does, we will look forward to networking again face to face and all the other opportunities AFP GLAC has to offer. 

There are two opportunities for you at this time:

1)    Our own Chapter Fund is here to directly provide funds for scholarships for our own chapter members including conferences, but did you know it’s also for webinars and workshops, as well as online fundraising courses and CFRE support for our GLAC members?  As our board leadership has been working to bring more online opportunities like essential webinars to bring to you, your support is more important than ever to continue to bring even more. 

To date, we have 100% AFP GLAC Board support of our Chapter Fund,  and I encourage all membership to participate at this time.  Your participation is a testament to our strength and that we will continue to grow.  Here is the easy online portal to make it more convenient to participate: 

https://www.kindest.com/campaign/afp-glac-chapter-fund 

2)  AFP International’s Foundation for Philanthropy also has their BE THE CAUSE Campaign.  BE THE CAUSE helps to fund local, national and international programs such as scholarships, leadership development, education and much more.  A portion of every donation that a member makes goes back to our local chapter.  You can support two ways:

• Make a gift to the BE the CAUSE Campaign online.
  • Text AFP to 56512 and follow the prompts!

Thank you for your support – stay safe and be well.

Jennifer Berger, VP, Philanthropy and Volunteers jberger@5acres.org

Ethics Update
ethics.jpg

Eye on ETHICS

I’ve always been fascinated by the study and practice of ethical decision-making because there are rarely easy answers to these dilemmas.   This is true in our practice as fund raisers, too.  There are times when we’ve had to decide whether or not we go with the crowd or act out of expediency.  That process isn’t an easy one, but giving up moral reflection means we’d be giving up part of what makes us human - those rational, thinking and choosing traits that shape the quality of our lives and our work.

In the months ahead I hope to help you explore the ethical issues that relate to our industry.  I’ll do my best to bring some of them to you in this article, to our virtual meetings and to the Annual Ethics Breakfast on October 1, 2020.

Some of the things we’ll discuss include:

• How can we balance the best interests of the donor and the institution we represent?
  • Is honesty and transparency evident in our interactions with donors?
  • While an action may be strictly legal, is it always appropriate? 
  • Are we cognizant of the donor’s right to privacy and how do we best protect it?

There are also issues relating to stewardship, compensation, the source of gifts, conflicts of interest, and dealing with aging donors.  I imagine you can come up with even more.  In fact, I’m counting on it. 

Your perspective on ethics in fundraising is very important to this program.  Please share with me your questions, your dilemmas, and your experiences.  When a question is posed in an article, let me know your thoughts.  I’ll pass your feedback along to our fellow members, being sure to treat sensitive information appropriately. 

Finally, if you’d like to help shape the programming of the Ethics Committee, please let me know that, too.  Volunteers who want to work on our educational efforts and our annual breakfast would be most welcome. 

I look forward to working with you in the months ahead to keep ethics in fund raising in the forefront of our profession.   

Mike Driebe, 2020 Ethics Chair
Michael.driebe@methodisthospital.org

​​​​