Date posted: 12/17/2020
Vice President of Development
Planned Parenthood provides a full range of sexual reproductive health care services to people who need us most. We are looking for a passionate individual—whose values align with our mission—to lead an established, successful team of dedicated fundraising professionals as our next Vice President of Development.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivator with excellent communication and leadership ability, keen attention to detail, and exceptional time management skills. They will connect well with people and have the aptitude to work independently as well as collaboratively. This is a full-time position requiring three to five years of previous related, major gifts fundraising experience.
Working at Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley (PPPSGV) is more than a job; it is an opportunity to join a team that is engaged and passionate about the organization and mission to support the expansion of critical health services and to thrive in a collaborative and inclusive workplace.
Who We Are
Founded in 1933 by Pasadena residents dedicated to sexual and reproductive health, Planned Parenthood Pasadena & San Gabriel Valley (PPPSGV) is one of the most established affiliates and one of the fastest growing. We currently have health centers in Pasadena, Alhambra, Glendora, and in 2020 we opened new facilities in Baldwin Park and Highland Park. We serve more than 60,000 patients per year and deliver more than 11,000 opportunities for sex and relationship education at schools and colleges throughout Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley.
Our service area includes 24 communities in Northeast Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, from Glendale to Glendora and from the I-10 freeway to the San Gabriel Mountains. As the area's most trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health care, we provide a broad range of health care services including contraception, cancer screenings, abortion care, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STI), HIV prevention medications, and transgender care.
These are the values we live by:
- We tend to the team
- We respect and honor all people
- We strive to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization
- We jump in
- We try and we learn
- We care for our business
- We return to our mission
What You’ll Bring
The Vice President of Development is a tenured leadership position within an accomplished, metrics-based development team. We want a leader who will embrace and operationalize proven systems for effective fundraising and organizational growth, maintain a robust portfolio, support capital campaigns, promote a culture of philanthropy, implement proven practices to ensure effective stewardship, and bring demonstrated fundraising experience that will strengthen and cultivate relationships with donors to encourage deeper engagement. The ideal candidate will bring:
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Planned Parenthood Pasadena & San Gabriel Valley.
- Minimum five years of demonstrated high-level leadership success developing and implementing comprehensive development programs including major gifts portfolio management.
- Strong time management, project oversight, and presentation skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, and high-level proficiency in the use of standard information technologies including Microsoft software, Sales Force (or similar database management tool) and Internet research.
- Bachelor’s degree required. CFRE and/or other fundraising certification is desirable.
Who You’ll Work With
- Internally: The PPPSGV Leadership Team and affiliate staff to share fundraising strategy and results and engage with donors. Work closely with the Board of Directors to inspire and motivate members to fundraise and engage donors.
- Externally: Donors for engagement, cultivation, and support; foundation officers for grant funding.
What You’ll Do
The Vice President of Development implements the overall fundraising strategy to enhance the sustainability and expansion of the organization’s programs and services, directly overseeing the Vice President of Institutional Giving, Director of Development, and the Major Gift Officer(s).
You will organize, staff, and direct all donor relations and development activities for Planned Parenthood Pasadena & San Gabriel Valley (a 501(c)(3) organization) and Planned Parenthood Advocates Pasadena & San Gabriel Valley (a 501(c)(4) organization). You will coordinate and administer Principal Gifts, Board Committees, and Capital Campaigns, achieving an annual department fundraising goal of over $2,360,000.
Why We Need You
- Encourage and drive a performance-based culture of philanthropy to maximize fundraising.
- Provide direct leadership to the Vice President of Institutional Giving (private and corporation foundations, state and federal grants), the Director of Development, and the Major Gifts Officer(s).
- Serve as the primary donor relationship manager of the Principal Gifts Program, with a prospect portfolio of 50 individuals of $25,000 and greater perceived giving capacity and an annual fundraising goal of $350,000.
- Provide staff support to board committees and support internal meetings, including monthly board meetings and staff meetings.
- Manage and coordinate leadership volunteers and development staff while maintaining a robust Principal Gifts portfolio.
- Oversee a performance-based portfolio management process to guide the Principal and Major Gifts programs to maximize effectiveness and performance.
- Coordinate and support the efforts of the entire development team; operationalize an effective and established organizational staff structure.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate development department staff members.
- Create and present reports to the board, funders, and other groups as appropriate.
- Define and meet department fiscal and strategic goals and assure that the department operates within budgeted guidelines.
- Support President/CEO in fundraising efforts, including preparation and coordination of asks and donor relations.
- Provide financial analysis and reporting for the Development Department, President/CEO, Board of Directors, and funders.
- Work effectively with the President/CEO and Board of Directors, providing relevant information for their decision making in board, committee, and task force settings.
- Cultivate and coordinate relationships and activities with other PPPSGV departments to identify funding needs and opportunities as well as promote and engage in a collaborative work environment.
- Provide agency leadership through service on the Leadership Team and internal committees.
- Perform other duties as required.
How You’ll Develop Professionally
- Join a team that is engaged and passionate about the organization and mission.
- Support the expansion of critical health services as PPPSGV rolls out additional healthcare services and opens new health centers across the service area.
- Partner with a seasoned CEO who has been with the organization for 30+ years.
- Participate in a very collaborate work environment.
- Build upon fundraising success (PPPSGV raised $7.65 million in its most recent capital campaign that concluded in 2019).
- Contribute to the diversification of PPPSGV’s Board of Directors and fundraising base to reflect the demographics of its expanded service area.
- Lead and mentor a development team that is eager and ready to take on new challenges.
- Earn a competition salary in the range of $160,000 – $180,000 commensurate with experience.
- Thrive in an inclusive workplace that promotes a culture of openness, collaboration, and participation.
How to Apply
Click link below to apply:
PPPSGV VP of Development Application