csteeves

Member Spotlight

Chris SteevesChris Steeves
Senior Consultant
Global Philanthropic Inc. (Canada)
AFP member since August 2011

Why did you join AFP Nova Scotia? What has your experience been like so far?

I received tremendous benefit from AFP lunch and learn and PD sessions when I began my career in Annual Giving at Dalhousie University. As a young professional, I wanted to absorb as much as a could about the sector and those sessions were paramount to helping me get started. So, in the early days, I engaged because I wanted to learn from and benchmark against the best in the business!

Many years later, I was recruited to the AFP Nova Scotia board by Brad Jacobs. I joined the board because I wanted to not only gain board experience, but I felt compelled to give back to the association that had given me so much opportunity to learn. I wanted to help other young professionals get the same experience I did.

Tell us about your current role at Global Philanthropic. What is your favorite part of the job?

As a senior consultant, I get the opportunity to transform Atlantic Canadian organizations, of all different shapes and sizes, to scale their fundraising abilities to new heights through strategic counsel and campaign implementation.

My favourite part about the job is working with and learning from my colleagues across the country. The collaborative nature of our work means there is a network of expertise at my fingertips. I am someone who passionately believes in lifelong learning and having 28 other senior consultants to connect with empowers me to help my clients as well as continue to learn from the best. 

What inspired you to pursue a career in fundraising?

Mentorship was an important element in why I got started in fundraising. I had the privilege of working with Marni Tuttle while I was studying business at Dalhousie University. Marni saw something in me (something I might not have seen myself) and she planted the idea to consider non-profit as a career. Her encouragement led me to my first co-op work-term with the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Something clicked for me during my time there. By about the second week on the job I simply knew that this was the type of work for me. I never looked back from there!

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

I am exceptionally proud of being named the 2015 AFP Nova Scotia Outstanding Professional Fundraiser, but that pales in comparison to seeing the joy in a donor’s face when they get to meet the recipient of their generosity.

Do you have a favorite book, blog or podcast that has been very helpful in your career that you’d like to recommend? 

Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People had a major impact on my career early on. Harvey McKinnon’s Hidden Gold and Iceberg Philanthropy by Beth McDonald, Fraser Green and Jose Van Herpt are all must-reads for young professionals.