lmacdonald

Member Spotlight

Leslie MacDonaldLeslie MacDonald
Director of Development and Partnerships
Neptune Theatre Foundation
AFP member since April 2019

Why did you join AFP Nova Scotia? What has your experience been like so far?

Regardless of the field you work in there is always something to learn – in the field of development you are constantly learning. AFP provides me with learning opportunities through courses, conferences and monthly newsletters, as well as occasions to network and share ideas. I recently signed up for the chapter’s new mentorship program. I am looking forward to being assigned a mentor so I can learn more.

Tell us about your current role at the Neptune Theatre Foundation. What is your favorite part of the job?

I am the Director of Development and Partnerships at Neptune Theatre Foundation. My duties include overseeing matters related to stewardship, development, sponsorship and strategic partnerships. The best part of the position is that I get to partner with donors and sponsors who share our vision regarding the importance of the arts in Halifax.

What inspired you to pursue a career in fundraising?

I love everything by Gary Vaynerchuk. I especially liked his books The Thank You Economy and Jab Jab Jab Right Hook. While these books are written for marketers, they are applicable to anyone who has to ask for support from sponsors, clients, donors and patrons.

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

I am most proud of the relationships I have had with partners over the years. I have been able to form strong, long term relationships by being honest about what is best for my partners’ investment. Sometimes that means a gift may not be realized, but I’ve still been able to nurture a long-lasting relationship.

What’s your favorite thing to do in Nova Scotia in the fall?

I love NS in the fall. I love switching from my summer wardrobe to my fall sweaters and boots. I love going for drives to see the changing of the leaves. And I love going to amazing theatre!