lstewartyuill

Member Spotlight

Lynn-Stewart-Yuill.gifLynn Stewart-Yuill
Development Officer, Brigadoon Village
AFP member since January 2018

Why did you join AFP Nova Scotia? What has your experience been like so far?

I joined AFP Nova Scotia to build my network with my industry peers and to gain insight from their experiences in fundraising and philanthropy. Earlier this month, I attended the AFP Maritime Fundraising Conference. I was very fortunate to have received a bursary. It was a great networking opportunity for me to meet members and learn new perspectives from speakers who I wouldn’t have had the exposure to otherwise.

Tell us about your current role at Brigadoon. What is your favorite part of the job?

I joined the Brigadoon family in September 2018 in the role of Development Officer, primarily responsible for events and mid-level giving. I have been busy planning Wine & Dash, our signature fundraising event which is celebrating its 5th year.

Shortly after joining the organization, we lost our founder Dave McKeage. He had a tremendous impact on the lives of those who knew him and on the thousands of children and youth who passed through our camp doors. It is an honour and a privilege as a Development Officer to facilitate carrying on his legacy.

There is nothing better than hearing a camper say “I wanted to give another kid the chance to have a really great summer, just like I had!” after helping them host their own fundraising initiative.

What inspired you to pursue a career in fundraising?

I was asked to join the organizing committee for the Jordan Boyd Celebrity Hockey Challenge and met an extraordinary family who had suffered a tragic loss of their son and brother. At the same time, I had the opportunity to work with two organizations that gave me the insight on how I could transfer my volunteer efforts and skills as a Financial Analyst into a fundraising career. Within a few months, I started at Heart & Stroke.

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

Being able to create new relationships and partnerships for the organization. In my short time at Brigadoon, I have been able to do that through Wine & Dash. Each time you make a new connection that gives the organization an opportunity to share the Brigadoon story of how we are “giving extraordinary kids the chance to be ordinary”.  We show children that they are not alone, that they have limitless potential and can achieve more than they ever thought possible.

What’s your favorite thing to do in Nova Scotia in the summer?

Nova Scotia summers are about being outside, whether it’s relaxing on one of the many beaches, sailing, walking the Halifax waterfront or camping across the province. My favorite place to camp is Kejimkujik National Park where you can canoe and kayak across the waterways.