National Philanthropy Day

When:  Nov 12, 2020 from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM (CT)
Associated with  AFP SD, South Dakota Chapter
AFP SD's National Philanthropy Day conference will be held as a virtual event on Thursday, Nov. 12.

SCHEDULE — THURSDAY, NOV. 12, 2020

9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. CDT / 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. MDT
Featured speaker: Simone Joyaux, ACFRE, Adv Dir, FAFP, Certificate in Philanthropic Psychology, Joyaux Associates
  • Governance session for nonprofit board members, organization leaders, resource development committees/councils, AFP members, and other nonprofit professionals

"The Very Most Important Stuff About Governance - Which Many People Don’t Know"
                “Well, Missy,” the man said to me, as he patted me on the arm. He continued: “I’ve served on more boards than you are old.”
                My response, in a balanced, professional voice: “But I’m right and you’re wrong and here’s the IRS handout that explains.”
                The attending board members and staff had been saying “No” and “We don’t agree with that all morning.
                But wait, I thought. You asked me here because of my expertise. Hmmm…
                There’s a big difference between opinion and expertise.
                So I’m here to talk about the fundamentals of good governance. The key points that far too many people don’t know.
                By the way, it’s okay if you don’t know the basics. But you do have to learn them!
                And! I have a great handout for you!!

11 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. CDT / 10 a.m. until 12:15 p.m. MDT
AFP Global program (OPEN TO ALL REGISTRANTS)
  • 11 a.m. CDT / 10 a.m. MDT — Welcoming remarks by AFP President/CEO Mike Geiger, MBA, CPA
  • 11:15 a.m. CDT / 10:15 a.m. MDT — Keynote from Maureen Hackett, Co-Founder & President, Hackett Family Foundation
  • 11:45 a.m. CDT / 10:45 a.m. MDT — Videos and interviews with 2020 chapter awardees
  • 12:15 p.m. CDT / 11:15 a.m. MDT — Closing remarks by AFP Chair, Martha Schumacher, CFRE, ACFRE, MInstF
12:30 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. CDT / 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. MDT
Hour break

1:30 p.m. until 2:15 p.m. CDT / 12:30
p.m. until 1:15 p.m. MDT

• National Philanthropy Day Awards
2:15 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. CDT / 1:15 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. MDT
15-minute break

2:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. CDT / 1:30 p.m. until 4 p.m. MDT
Featured speaker: Simone Joyaux, ACFRE, Adv Dir, FAFP, Joyaux Associates
  • Fundraising session for philanthropy professionals, seasoned and new
"Cool Stuff and Just Plain Weird Stuff About Fundraising"
      Ah, the times they are a-changing. (Please tell me that some of you remember this old folk song!)
      Increasing amounts of academic research for our beloved fundraising field. More and more great books documenting what you and I must know.
      Here are just a few of the items I’m going to talk about:
    • Always always remember: Donors give through your organization to fulfill their own aspirations.
    • What makes donors loyal
    • Neuroscience and human emotions
    • Culture of philanthropy (Thanks so much Peter Drucker!)
    • My concept of enabling: Almost a bad/sad story from the Event Committee meeting!
    • Donor-centered (e.g., customer-centered communications): communications behavior/technique.
    • And more! Also, a great handout.

ABOUT OUR FEATURED SPEAKER

Simone Joyaux

Simone P. Joyaux (pronounced SEE’-mun Zha-WHY’-oh) has been described by colleagues around the world as one of the nonprofit sector’s most thoughtful, inspirational and provocative leaders. She sees herself as a change agent, an agitator. Whether it’s asking essential cage-rattling questions . . . or proposing novel approaches . . . or advocating for change . . . that’s Simone.

Simone began her career in the nonprofit sector in 1975, serving as the executive director of an arts center and arts council in Lansing, Michigan. She served as chief development officer for Trinity Repertory Company (RI) from 1981 to 1988 and became a full-time consultant in January 1988.

As a volunteer, Simone has founded two organizations: the first iteration of a statewide arts advocacy organization in Rhode Island and, in 2000, the Women’s Fund of Rhode Island, a social justice organization.

She regularly serves on boards, often as chair. From 1999 through 2001, Simone served as chair of the board of CFRE International, the baseline credentialing program for fundraisers. During her tenure, the program achieved its independence and established itself internationally. Simone received her M.A. in English and her B.A. in English and French from Michigan State University.

Online Instructions:
Url: http://www.cvent.com/d/l7q2hl
Login: Login instructions will be shared with registrants no later than one week before the event.
Event Image