Blogs

Be the first person to recommend this.
Help us welcome our new AFPSS Board President - Al Hove!  TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF … As a servant leader, with more than 35 years in the fundraising profession, I bring to my new role as AFPSS President a mix of experiences, gratitude, humility and hope. I’m grateful to serve with an amazing board of directors and outstanding committee chairs, dedicated to providing our great community with high-quality, professional development programs, that include mentorship and networking opportunities. I’m humbled by the challenges and opportunities facing our board and membership, given the impact this Pandemic has had on mission funding ...
0 comments
Thanks to AFP Global, our South Sound chapter is pleased to be able to offer up to 5 membership scholarships. The South Sound Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFPSS) provides educational and networking opportunities for fundraising professionals who live or work in the South Puget Sound region. In addition to quality educational programming, we share ideas, discuss best practices, and keep each other up-to-date. AFPSS members are caring individuals like you who understand the joys and challenges of a fundraising career.  Member benefits encompass both local and national resources - from discounts on programming, mentorship opportunities, ...
0 comments
by Karina A. Bharne, AFPSS Chamberlain Scholar I was excited about my trip to Baltimore at the end of March. Baltimore is a city that I have been to many times and I was looking forward to the networking opportunities available to me at the AFP Conference. Then COVID-19 struck, and everything changed. The warning bells starting going off about three weeks before the conference, with the first case being announced in Pierce County. Luckily AFP was ready with options and, not wanting to risk my health, I immediately transferred my registration to online. There are certainly benefits and drawbacks to virtual conferences. First, I found myself being ...
0 comments
In response to our current times, this spring and summer we are hosting a series of virtual gatherings where nonprofit professionals can connect, learn, and support each other. Each gathering has a topic, such as virtual events, leveraging technology, and donor engagement during COVID-19. We invite a few local experts to share their experience, but it is also an opportunity to exchange information peer-to-peer. For the latest information and upcoming dates, visit our facebook event page. To watch recordings from past virtual gatherings, check out our YouTube page here .
0 comments
Written by Greater Tacoma Community Foundation, https://www.gtcf.org Kristen Corning Bedford compares the evolution of philanthropy to a bee hive, “The old model was to woo the queen bee … the future is wooing the hive.” Her metaphor emphasizes the importance of principles of solidarity, agency, and reciprocity in order for philanthropy to disrupt the status quo and create real change. “as next gen donors step into their philanthropic roles…they want to disrupt the traditional world of charitable giving and want to do so now, not after they retire to a life of philanthropic leisure.” Author of  A Generous Heart: Changing the World Through Feminist ...
0 comments
Are you ready for ICON 2020? The Chamberlain Scholarship application is now available!  Apply by October 1, 2019 for the AFPSS Chamberlain Scholarship if you are interested in attending the AFP International Conference (ICON ), taking place from March 29 to 31, 2020 in Baltimore, Maryland. ICON brings together fundraisers from around the world for expert-led learning opportunities that are innovative, inspiring, and energizing. The AFPSS Chamberlain Scholarship covers your conference registrations fees (roughly $800 in value from AFP International) and travel expenses up to $500 provided by AFPSS. Eligibility Requirements:  The applicant ...
0 comments
Mentor and mentee Al Hove and Jennifer Wolbrecht didn’t know each other before being paired through the AFP South Sound members-only mentorship program, but through the program, they not only found out they graduated from the same small Midwestern college (!), but also found new insights into themselves and their professional relationship. They recently shared what the mentorship program has meant for them.  From the Mentor Perspective "I believe this is an important program for AFP South Sound and its membership as we grow and support the pipeline of development professionals in our industry. The mentorship program is a tangible way to make a positive ...
0 comments
Armadillos, Mnemonics and AFP ICON By Andrea Michelbach The biggest thing I haven’t figured out after the AFP conference is how to make an armadillo an appropriate spirit animal for being a fundraiser. Maybe you can help. In March, I packed my bags and briefcase for San Antonio, Texas to attend the AFP conference as the AFP South Sound Chamberlain Scholar . Being a Chamberlain Scholar is an incredible opportunity. Having never gone to AFP’s conference (aka AFP ICON) , I’d applied last fall to our chapter to be the 2019 Chamberlain Scholar. When I found out I was selected, I was elated! AFP would not only pay for my full ...
0 comments
By James M. Hushagen, J.D. and Emily Happy, Principals, The Philanthropy Collective What does a nonprofit need to remain viable and achieve its mission? Adequate financial resources are key; nonprofits seldom complain about having too much money. And, ensuring adequate financial resources is the job of the board of directors. While relying on executive leadership and staff for much of the work, the board has a fiduciary duty and the chief responsibility to ensure that the nonprofit has the needed funds. The board’s financial responsibilities fall into two general categories: (1) improving operational profitability through increasing earned revenue; and (2) ...
0 comments
When I joined AFP South Sound almost six years ago, I told myself to not get too involved. I had only recently started at Hilltop Artists and just excused myself from a number of volunteer projects because I had too much on my plate. Alas, saying "yes" to coffee turned into joining the Young Professionals committee. From there, I ended up on the Marketing Committee, where I served as Chair for almost three years. This past year, I chaired the Membership Committee. And now, I'm Chapter President. Let me explain. When I joined AFP South Sound, I discovered a network of thoughtful, intelligent, and hard-working professionals — the kind of people I wanted to ...
1 comment
Love is at the core of our profession. It is at the core of the word “philanthropy.” As 2018 AFP South Sound chapter president, I’ve felt the love and support of my fellow board members, colleagues and the many chapter members with whom I’ve had a chance to interact. And I hope that as members, you felt it in return by connecting with your colleagues, attending the educational events and being of service to others. The columnist David Brooks once said that there is no secret to what makes a great learning environment. We learn best from the teachers who love us and whom we love in return. And so it is with AFPSS. I encourage you to look at your investment ...
0 comments
The following slate of AFP South Sound board members will be available to the current membership for a vote at the 2018 Annual Meeting on Dec. 5, 2018 . At that time, write-in options will also be available.  AFP WA South Sound Chapter 2019 Proposed Slate of Officers and Board members   Officers President: Kate Ward President Elect: Jennifer Wolbrecht Secretary: Al Hove Treasurer: Erik Hanberg          Past President: James Plourde Members and Committee Chairs Emily Happy, South Sound Philanthropy Summit Sue Loiland, At Large Andrea Michelbach, Communications Dermont Smith, Diversity Missy Zenczak, Programming Jennifer Wolbrecht, ...
0 comments
Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) advances philanthropy by enabling people and organizations to practice ethical and effective fundraising. The core activities through which AFP fulfills this mission include education, training, mentoring, research, credentialing and advocacy. The association fosters development and growth of fundraising professionals and promotes high ethical standards in the fundraising profession. The association is comprised of nearly 30,000 professionals in chapters throughout the world. Our AFP South Sound chapter currently has 115 members. The Chapter Administrator is a person responsible for the successful, consistent and ...
0 comments
The July 2018 All-Member Meeting and Social was a festive gathering of hardworking, good-hearted people on a radiant summer evening. Attendees relaxed, ate delicious BBQ, and simply enjoyed each others company. We are so grateful to have had this opportunity to recognize our members —  you make AFP South Sound possible! Thank you to everyone who came out!  Attendees catch up while waiting for their headshot photo sessions with LILT.   Long-time members connected with new members and everyone expanded their network.   A lovely sun-kissed evening to be at Wapato Park! Members, ...
0 comments
Position Title: Volunteer Manager, Nourish Pierce County Reports to: Executive Director Status: Full Time – Exempt Salary Range: $38,000 - $45,000 including a generous benefit package including health, dental insurance premiums covered at 100% for employee. Purpose: The goal of a Volunteer Manager is to ensure an organization has enough volunteers to fulfill its service mission. To meet that goal, the Volunteer Manager must perform a variety of duties involving outreach, training and program planning. The Volunteer Manager is responsible for recruiting, orienting, supervising and stewarding the volunteer staff. Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Plan the ...
0 comments
td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;} --> The Opportunity Peace Community Center is seeking an experienced, creative, and enthusiastic full-time Philanthropy Officer to join our organization during an exciting time of growth and change. Peace Community Center is nearing the end of its first major campaign and is looking for a dedicated fundraiser to help lead our work with individual donors contributing to our annual fundraising efforts. The Philanthropy Officer’s goal is to grow the individual donor base contributing to Peace Community Center on an annual basis. The Philanthropy Officer is responsible for planning, executing, and ...
0 comments
Development Officer, Tacoma Rescue Mission Development Officer is responsible for extending the reach of the Mission through planning, coordinating, and implementing its major donor program. Position is responsible for identification , cultivation solicitation and stewardship activities along with coordinating activities with other staff, board members and volunteers. Qualifications • Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience • 3+ years of nonprofit fund development experience • Experience with face-to-face donor solicitation and other fundraising or sales/marketing experience with an emphasis on relationship building • Ability to problem solve, ...
0 comments
td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;} --> Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Pacific Lutheran University The Assistant Director of Annual Giving works with the Director to implement a comprehensive multifaceted Annual Giving program across direct mail, email, phone, giving days, crowdfunding, and social media. The Assistant Director implements annual giving communications, tracks and analyzes communications and efforts, and leads the crowdfunding program, identifying creative strategies to increase PLU Fund participation, retention, revenue, and stewardship. The strength of the Annual Giving program is integral to increasing and ...
0 comments
Colgate University is preparing to launch an historically significant capital campaign coinciding with the celebration of the University's bicentennial. The Major Gifts Officer, Parent Giving position is responsible for increasing levels of annual and long-term giving of parents (gifts of $20,000+ annually), and working with other gift officers to secure parent support. Accountable for effectively developing and maintaining relationships with key parents as assigned. Ensures effective qualification, cultivation, and stewardship of parent/grandparent major gift donors and prospects. Responsible for effective management of fundraising projects. Accountable for ...
0 comments
The Event Coordinator position is a full time, non-exempt position who is responsible for planning, implementing and managing all of the annual fundraising events hosted by The Zoo Society and also coordinates the Adopt-A-Species program.
0 comments