Development Coordinator, Southern Scholarship Foundation
Summary: Assists in the development and implementation of SSF’s fundraising strategies and tactics. Generates and supports financial resources and development for SSF by applying for grants, writing fundraising collateral, planning events, and supporting the cultivation of strong relationships with stakeholders, SSF partners, sponsors and the SSF Board. Manage donor database and fundraising platforms. Supplements other departments with event planning, coordination, and execution.
About Southern Scholarship Foundation: Through rent-free housing and cooperative living, Southern Scholarship Foundation supports students who lack financial resources, demonstrate excellent academic merit, and exemplify good character attend institutions of higher education. For more than 65 years, SSF has helped students achieve their dreams of attending their choice university at Florida Gulf Coast University, University of Florida, Santa Fe College, Florida State University, Florida A&M University, and Tallahassee Community College. While SSF does not provide monetary-based scholarships, we offer rent-free homes located near our partner institutions. We currently have 25 homes statewide and serve 453 students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Support Development Activities
- Assist in planning and organizing Foundation fundraising events; including but not limited to timeline management, sponsorship prospecting, organizing logistics and coordinating volunteers.
- Grant Development including: prospect research, writes proposals and reporting for both new and existing foundations.
- Assists in performing prospect donor research and analysis for Major Donors.
- Supports Director of Development with preparation of various mailings.
- Assists in meetings arrangements and visits for Director of Development and/or President/CEO (alumni, Foundation, donors, etc.) including any meeting logistic preparation.
- Supports development with donor communications and appreciation through thank you phone calls, thank you letters and annual sponsor letters.
- Provides Quarterly reports for SSF Giving Communities.
- Assists with House Champion communications and support.
- Develops campaign materials in collaboration with Communications.
- Coordinates the Young Philanthropy Society (YPS) Giving Community.
- Responsibilities may require occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
- Oversee the general office support activities (processing mail, keeping office presentable, etc.).
- Answer incoming phone calls.
- Greet and assist visitors of the SSF office.
- Coordinate Federal Work Study students’ schedules and tasks.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: May include Federal Work Study students.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in English, Communication, Journalism, Business, Marketing, Social Work, Communications, or related field and one to two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses: No certifications needed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies, but not limited to: Use of Technology, Problem Solving, Customer Service, Communication, Teamwork, Leadership, Ethics, Strategic Thinking, Adaptability, Achievement Focus, Dependability, Initiative, Innovation, and Planning/Organizing. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of MS Office and Adobe Reader required, familiarity with donor management software and fundraising platforms is a plus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Supervisor: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location (on site): Tallahassee, Florida
Benefits: We value our employees’ time and efforts. Their commitment to our success is enhanced by a competitive compensation of $35,000 - $38,000, depending on experience, and an extensive benefits package including 100% employer paid health insurance premiums, dental and vision for employees, short- and long-term disability coverage, employer retirement match, generous PTO and sick leave, winter holiday break, and paid major holidays.
To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Development Coordinator’ in the subject line. Applications may also be submitted through LinkedIn or Indeed. Applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. For priority consideration apply on or before 11:59 PM Eastern, October 24, 2022.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.