Position title: Director of External Affairs
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Supervises others: Yes
Salary: $97,075 - $129,433 annually
Location: Sacramento, CA, 95825
About us: Opening Doors, Inc., envisions a world in which migrants and refugees lead lives of joy and belonging, embraced by welcoming communities. Our mission is to enrich communities by supporting immigrants, refugees, and survivors of trafficking on their path towards stability, self-sufficiency and belonging.
Opening Doors is guided by our organizational values:
- Rising Together: We are in this together and depend on each other.
- Honoring Dignity: We recognize and honor everyone’s strength and inherent dignity.
- Embracing Courage: We do the right thing, even when the path is uncertain.
- Seeking Joy: We take time to be together, celebrating our diverse cultures and recognizing our victories.
Opening Doors began in 1993 as a small refugee resettlement agency, and today serves approximately 2,000 clients per year across our five program areas: Refugee Programs, Survivors of Human Trafficking Programs, Immigration Legal Services, Health Programs and Economic Prosperity Programs.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about addressing issues affecting immigrant and refugee communities. The ideal candidate will be both a strategic thinker, able to focus on the big picture, and also detail-oriented, ensuring that Opening Doors’ case for support is presented in a high-quality manner.
They will have the ability to work effectively in multi-cultural work environments, showing respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, and will be passionate about Opening Doors’ mission.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- In partnership with the CEO, lead Opening Doors’ strategy to amplify the contributions of immigrants, refugees, and survivors of trafficking and ethically tell their stories
- Lead External Affairs functions, ensuring that Community Engagement and Development teams are closely collaborating and advancing organizational goals.
- Oversee the organization’s communications strategy and collaborate with Community Engagement staff on implementation.
- Together with colleagues, further develop the organization’s branding, communications, and story-telling practices.
- Contribute to the development of plans to grow the contributed revenue of the organization through annual giving, major gifts, individual giving, board giving, special events, and legacy giving.
- Oversee stewardship and cultivation efforts to ensure that supporters are engaged, acknowledged, and appreciated in regular and meaningful ways.
- Ensure the continued performance of a quality volunteer program to deliver program services, while expanding the organization’s network of supporters.
Additionally, the Director of External Affairs will represent Opening Doors internally and externally, including on our Management Team. Other duties may be assigned in the sole discretion of the Organization. The Organization may assign or shift duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Deep interest in addressing issues affecting immigrant and refugee communities, and a commitment to staying up-to-date with complex, changing landscapes.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following: Nonprofit fundraising, communications, community engagement, and/or advocacy.
- Ability to establish and cultivate strong relationships with colleagues across different levels of the organization, and externally with peer organizations, supporters, and other external stakeholders.
- Effective coach, supervisor, and mentor for staff of various experience levels; experience leading teams.
- Strong organizational skills in a complex, multi-tasking environment and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines.
The requirements listed below are not required but are desired.
- Accomplishment in planning, leading, and managing successful fundraising campaigns, including coordinating with colleagues to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting of progress.
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of community-centric fundraising; knowledge of ethical story telling in nonprofit communications, advocacy, and fundraising.
- Experience managing comprehensive strategic communications to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Effective communication skills in one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, Farsi/Dari, Hmong, Pashto, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, Ukrainian or Vietnamese.
Physical requirements and work environment:
The following demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Director of External Affairs position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people to perform the described essential functions.
While performing this job, the employee is required to sit often and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel and to manipulate keys on a keyboard, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion, and to stoop, kneel, or squat, and drive on occasion. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
How to apply:
Candidates should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Director of External Affairs – [Your name]” in the subject line.
Opening Doors provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees, applicants and any third parties, for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Opening Doors complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination laws.
Opening Doors participates in E-Verify.