April 2019 Newsletter

Message from the AFP-GLAC President

Greetings!

Our fundraising teams face constant change during spring season, and the workload increases as the event season begins. Change is challenging, but it helps us grow and blossom, and at AFP Greater Los Angeles we bring you different development seminars and sessions to help you through the changing times.  We are here to support you.

Last week more than 3,200 fundraisers gathered in San Antonio, Texas at the 2019 Association of Fundraising Professionals International Conference (AFP ICON) over three days of learning the latest trends in fundraising, gathering best practice tips on major gifts, annual programs, planned giving, online giving, among other topics.  It was a lot of education and information, but three key take-aways came from AFP’s President, Mike Geiger, that I’ll share with you:

1. AFP’s partnership with Korn Ferry to bring a unique, tailored career planning and leadership training – AFP360, which will provide access to a) Career Advisor; b) Resume Architect; c) Professional Assessment Tool; d) Library of Resources; e) Presentation Coach powered by Artificial Intelligence.
  2. AFP’s partnership with the American Association of University Woman (AAUW) to help strengthen the negotiation skills of any member who would like to enhance their negotiation skills.
  3. October will be dedicated to AFP’s Code of Ethical Standards to highlight the foundation of our membership and to bolster trust in our profession. Stay tuned.  Our Chapter will host a special activity around this topic. More details to follow.

All these additional benefits are at zero cost through your AFP membership. The Greater Los Angeles Chapter looks forward to continuing empowering YOU with the right educational sessions, tools and resources necessary.  If you would like to share ideas, get involve or just learn more about AFP Greater Los Angeles, let’s talk.   

Spring forward!

Yuri E. Casco, CFRE

IMG_20190329_121531.jpg IMG_20190331_201425.jpg
Yuri E. Casco with AFP President Mike Geiger at AFP ICON. Special thanks to our Greater Los Angeles Chapter members who joined us for dinner during the AFP Int. Conference.

Looking for a Job?
job-board-shutterstock.jpg

Current Job Positions

If you are looking to post a position or looking for a job, please visit our job board here.
Save the Date for 2019!
calendar_icon.jpg Join us in 2019!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - Advanced Forum - The Huntington Library, Art, Collections and Botanical Gardens
Tuesday, May 7, 2019 - Professional Development Seminar and Luncheon - Cathedral Center
Thursday, June 11, 2019 - Young Professionals Event - Location TBA
Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - Local Area Roundtables
Thursday, August 22, 2019 - Advanced Forum - Location TBA
Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - Professional Development Seminar and Luncheon - Cathedral Center
Tuesday, October 8, 2019 - Local Area Roundtables
Thursday, November 7, 2019 - Regional Philanthropy Conference & National Philanthropy Day - JW Marriott Los Angeles
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - Holiday Mixer & Luncheon - Location TBA
You can join AFP today!
join.png

SPECIAL PROMOTION FOR NEW MEMBERS IN 2019!

Don’t wait any longer – now is the time to join AFP-GLAC!

WHY JOIN AFP-GLAC?

We support development professionals! The LA chapter is one of the country’s largest chapters with almost 500 members!

• We have regularly scheduled lunch meetings featuring local speakers and topics relevant to our everyday work.
  • Our chapter offers local area Roundtables and Advanced Executive Forums throughout the year.
  • We have a fabulous Regional Philanthropy Conference in the fall, held again this year at LA Live.
  • If you’re looking for a job, we have an online job board for our members and you can also post a job opportunity.

SPECIAL PROMOTION:

First time members who join in 2019 can attend the local area Roundtables (DTLA and/or Pasadena) for rest of 2019, at no charge! There are two Roundtables left this year (July and October), an $80 value!

For a list of individual membership categories, click here and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

An Installment Payment Plan is available! If you're interested, click here for more information. 

JOIN NOW at the AFP International Website: afpglobal.org/join

Any questions? Please contact AFP-GLAC membership committee chair Patricia Ostiller at p.ostiller@cscpasadena.org or 626-796-1083 x704.

Welcome!
new_members.jpeg Welcome New Members!
New members who joined between February 1 – 28, 2019

Paul Bradley

Motion Picture and Television Fund

Kay Buck

Coalition To Abolish Slavery & Trafficking (CAST)

Chris Clark

Carol Head

Solve ME/CFS Initiative

Erika Homan

The Midnight Mission

Elicia Lopez

National MS Society

Li Shan

Future Smile International Foundation

Melyora Trujilo

Nurse-Family Partnership

Elizabeth Weinberg

Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles

AFP Anniversaries
anniversary.jpg Members Celebrating Milestones with AFP!

April Anniversaries

5 Years
Brian Davis, CFRE
Felicity Palmer, Executive Service Corps So Cal

Congratulations!
scholarship-300x245.jpg

Members on the Move!

Yulanda N. Davis-Quarrie, M.S., CFRE was recently appointed Director of Institutional Advancement at Romona Convent in Alhambra.

Have you recently changed positions? Please let us know so we can share your good news and new contact information! Send your name and new title, organization and contact information to elizabeth.birlet@cshs.org.

Advanced Executive Forum

Randy_Shulman.jpg Registration closes Friday!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

11:30 am to 1:30 pm

The Huntington Library, Art, Collections and Botanical Gardens

Major Gifts: Collaborating for Maximum Impact!

Join Randy Shulman, Vice President for Advancement and External Relations at The Huntington, for a panel discussion with Huntington Advancement  colleagues about collaborative, successful Major Gift Fundraising.  This interactive session will provide strategies and honest dialogue about successes and near misses.  Focus will also center on tips, case studies, and examples of ways to maximize effectiveness and impact.  Attendees are encouraged to think about overcoming internal/organizational impediments to a more successful Major Gifts Program.

Click here to read more and to register.

Professional Development Seminar & Keynote Lunch
education.jpg

Save-the-Date:  May 7, Development Professional Seminar

Title:  Crushing It!!! Fundraising with Facebook, Email and Direct Mail

Presenter:  Chris Roelke

Company:  What If?

Seminar:  How did your year-end campaign perform?  Did you crush it?  The truth is we can all do better...but how?  This morning presentation will give you 12 tools to help you leverage Facebook, email and direct mail.

Keynote to follow with Gregg Sherkin, Senior Vice President leading Corporate Philanthropy and Community Relations in Southern California for Wells Fargo. 

Tuesday, May 7, 2019
10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Cathedral Center
555 W. Temple St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012 

Watch your inbox for more details.

Eye on Ethics

ethics.jpg

AFP-GLAC’s Eye on Ethics:

A Conversation with Yulanda Davis-Quarrie

Yulanda Davis-Quarrie has over 25 years of experience in professional administration and fund development. Currently, serving as Director of Institutional Advancement at Ramona Convent Secondary School, Davis-Quarrie has served most of her development experience in the field of hospital development, leading three nonprofit hospital foundations and two and half years ago moved back into the field of educational advancement. Yulanda is currently the immediate past Chair of AFP Global’s Ethics Committee, having served on the Ethics committee for over 9 years. Recently, Melanie Elliott, AFP-GLAC’s Ethics Chair sat down to chat with Yulanda.

ME: Hi Yulanda. It’s great to see you. Thanks for taking time to speak with me. Let’s start off with how you got involved in nonprofit fundraising.

YD-Q: I actually fell into fundraising. I got my master’s degree in healthcare management in the late 70s with the goal of being a hospital administrator. At the time, there were no jobs available. However, there was an opening for an administration assistant at Orthopedic Hospital Foundation, where Jon Olson was Senior Vice President of the hospital foundation. Jon was also very involved with the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (now AFP). I served as Jon’s administrative assistant for about 1.5 years when Jon approached me about making development a career and then had me join the professional staff. So I joined as the Assistant Director of Development working with some of the numerous support groups there.  Jon’s primary goal was to add to the diversity of the field. That is how I began my fundraising career. Claudia Looney joined our team shortly after I was promoted. 

ME: That’s probably how a number of fundraisers began their careers. I didn’t know this could be a career until someone told me about AFP. I went to my first meeting in October 2015 and said to myself, “these are my people.” I’ve been involved ever since. How did you get involved with the Ethics Committee?

To read more, click here to read the rest of the interview. 

Scholarships

scholarship.jpg

Scholarship Opportunities

CHANGES to AFP-GLAC New & Renewing Membership Scholarship

AFP-GLAC is now offering five $100 scholarships each year to new and renewing members.  This scholarship covers the membership fee to join our Los Angeles Chapter.  These scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Applicants must be full-time fundraisers or spend at least fifty percent of their time fundraising.  Special circumstances may be considered at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.  Please click on the links below for information and to apply.

Scholarship Available for our May 7, 2019 Professional Development Seminar & Luncheon

AFP-GLAC offers a scholarship that will pay $30 towards the cost of an AFP-GLAC Development Seminar/Luncheon.  This scholarship is available to current members and the one-year membership               requirement is waived.  Scholarship Applications are due no later than April 15, 2019. 

Questions?  Contact Jeanne Warlick, Scholarship Chair, at JWarlick@materdolorosa.org

Please Click Here to access the Scholarship Application Form.  

Please Click Here to access the Scholarship Application Guidelines.  

Diversity
2019AFPFriendsOfDiversityLogo.jpg

DIVERSITY UPDATE

Who has the responsibility to implement change?  Have you wondered what you can do right now to promote Inclusion Diversity, Equity and Access at your non-profit?

Check out these suggestions from an HR professional.  How can I help my company increase workplace diversity?

Philanthropy Update

philanthropy.jpg

Support our AFP-GLAC chapter through the Chapter Fund!

Your support to the AFP GLAC Chapter Fund has a direct impact on you as a member and all of the chapter’s members. Funds raised in the chapter fund provide scholarship opportunities specifically to AFP GLAC members for events such as the AFP-GLAC Regional Conference, the AFP International Conference, AFP-GLAC development seminars, and more. Investing in the Chapter Fund is just another way to invest in your own professional development!

To support the chapter today, click here. Every gift counts!

Thank you to our 2019 Supporters so far!

Lisa Baxter
Nancy Meyer
Patricia Ostiller, JD, CFRE
Janine Perron
Andrew Ur

Volunteer Update

volunteer.jpg

Looking to get involved?

One of the best things about AFP is volunteering for the chapter.  We have several opportunities where you can get involved on a committee, meet new people, and gain valuable experience.  We are starting the planning process for our annual National Philanthropy Day Conference & Awards Luncheon and looking for volunteers to help with the event.  To read about how to get involved with this event and other AFP activities click here.

Advancing Philanthropy
AFP_AP_April_2019_Cover.png

This Just In!

Check out the latest issue of Advancing Philanthropy (April 2019). Our very own member Connie Maguire pens an article entitled  “A Case Study in Launching a Major Gift Program.” See page 62 or click here to read online.