January 2021 Newsletter

​​

January 2021

President’s Message
To every member of AFP Greater Los Angeles Chapter, Happy New Year!

As we look ahead in the hope of a better 2021 for ourselves, our loved ones, for the organizations we represent and for our profession, I think it’s important to rededicate ourselves to the ways in which we can help bring people together. These are trying times and while we may be tempted to hunker down to focus solely on our individual efforts, I believe we can achieve far more through the power of the communities we serve. As AFP/GLAC we can focus on helping one another, on giving those who feel dispossessed a voice and on demonstrating that we have far more in common than those things that divide us.

The chapter’s Board of Directors conducted its board retreat in the beginning of January. I can tell you that supporting you in your work through our professional network and a continued focus on ethics and professionalism will be important parts of our agenda in 2021. Equally important will be our effort to share and act on a message of equity and inclusion. Our industry and our chapter must continue to broaden its outreach so more of our community is represented and served. I’ll have more details for you in future articles and more ways that you can contribute to the implementation of our programming this year. In the meantime, if you have an interest in a particular area and want to help, or need assistance in your own work, please let me know. I’ll connect you to the right people and resources. This year is about you, the member and about others who can benefit from what AFP/GLAC has to offer.

I’m so very grateful to the officers and board members who served in 2020 and to the many members who supported the chapter’s work with their time and resources. I look forward to working together to build on their success and help bring our community together.

Best regards,

Mike Driebe, MSLM, CFRE

Introducing First Quarter Programs

·    CFRE Workshop: January 19, 2021, 10:30am – 12:00pm

·    Afternoons with AFP-GLAC: January 28, 2021, 4:00 – 5:00pm

·    Virtual Chapter Meeting: February 9, 2021, 10:30am – 12:00pm

·    New Member Orientation: February 18, 2021, 12:00pm-1:00pm

·    Afternoons with AFP: February 25, 2021, 4:00 – 5:00pm

·    Virtual Emerging Leaders Event: March 9, 2021, 3:00 – 4:30pm

See the website for details as they become available.

Membership Update

The new year is here and, with its arrival, there is hope that sometime this year we’ll be able to safely meet in person. In the interim, we’ll continue to provide our members and non-members excellent virtual programming along with our monthly Afternoons with AFP-GLAC. Some plans for this year - new member orientations via Zoom, adding member spotlights and celebrating AFP anniversaries in our newsletter, and continuing our check-in calls to our members. We’ll update you with important membership information in our newsletters.

We realize this past year has been challenging for so many of our members. We value and appreciate you. Please let us know if you have a suggestion or an idea of how we can increase membership participation or improve your membership experience, we want to hear from you! Please send me an email to me at melhelliott@gmail.com.

See you soon!

Melanie Elliott, MFA

AFP-GLAC, VP of Membership

Membership Installment Plan Available

We understand that individuals and organizations may be watching their budgets this year. In recognition of that, AFP Global offers a membership installment plan for Associate and Professional categories of membership. This plan is available for members renewing their membership and to newly joining members. For information about the installment plan click Installment Plan.

To join or renew for the other categories, click Join AFP.

Up and At ‘Em Job Club

If you have been displaced during COVID or are looking to get into fundraising as a profession then the Up and At ‘Em Job Club is for you! Please reach out to us if you are interested – melhelliott@gmail.com. Here’s what a few Job Club members have to say:

A few of us are new to the area and/or new to fundraising, so it has been great to find common ground in the job search and skills development. We have had some fabulous presentations by Job Club members on things like networking and using LinkedIn.”

“Camaraderie. Especially during times of extended unemployment, which can become greater the higher one goes, it’s important to have support and not to feel alone.”

A Benefit of AFP Membership

If you are seeking further connection with other fundraisers, as a member, you now have access to AFP’s Topic Specific Interest Communities as well as Affinity Group Communities - https://community.afpglobal.org/home Members will need to login before viewing.

Welcome to our New Members -thank you!

Claire Crisp

Jose Miguel Ruiz

Joey Shanahan, MPH

Sasha Spalding

Thank you to our Renewed Members!

Robert Avalos

Dawn Barrett

Jennifer Jackson Berger, MPA

Miss Lorena Bernal, CFRE, BS

Elizabeth Birlet, MA

Barbara Racklin Bushnell, CFRE

Nadiya R Conner

Khristina Cook

Candie M. Davidson-Goldbronn

Shedrick Davis, JD

Janet Dial, Ed.D

Kevin Doody

Christopher Doyle, CFRE

Karen Dunphy

Melanie Elliott, MFA

Ryan Fleury

Austin Frank

Marissa Garcia

Maryellen Gleason

Rachel Gould

Angela M. Howell

Kim Kowsky

Jacqueline Landry

Jim Loduha

Felice Myers

Cynthia Nickell, CFRE, MBA

Carrie Norred

Kimberly Payne

Stephanie Pell

Erin Sapinoso

Laura L. Schenasi

Randi Sunshine

Sharon Townsend, MPA

John W. Wadas, CFRE

Sophia Weidner

Jacqueline M. Williams

Debbi Winter

Organizations that have renewed -thank you!

Cal State LA

CDN Consulting

Center for American Progress

Children’s Hospital Los Angeles

To those celebrating AFP Anniversaries this month, we thank you so much for your continued support of AFP Global and our GLAC Chapter!

John Charnay – 26 years

Martha Garske – 13 years

Tim Peters – 12 years

Candie M. Davidson-Goldbronn – 11 years

Carrie J. Arce – 10 years

Nina Crowe – 6 years

Sylvia Rosenberger – 6 years

Maryann Schwartz – 6 years

Alexander A.J. Cornejo II – 5 years

Mia Dunn – 5 years

Cassie R. Carter, PhD – 4 years

Andrea Yvonne Salazar, BA – 4 years

Racheal McCabe – 4 years

Gregory Copeland – 4 years

Farrah G. Douglas – 3 years

Jeanne Bray – 3 years

Katrina Corbosiero – 2 years

Aashika Patel – 2 years

Jodi Doane – 2 years

Mariana Veyna – 2 years

Randy Lapin – 1 year

Erika Weller – 1 year

Eugenia Stewart, MBA – 1 year

April Lindh – 1 year

Jessica Parker – 1 year

Yekaterina Kazerskaya – 1 year

Amber Skrumbis – 1 year

Sheila Monsod – 1 year

Vernetta Griffin – 1 year

Emily Kolakowski – 1 year

Matt Cordish – 1 year

This is our first month honoring those celebrating anniversaries. All information was pulled from IHQ’s member database. If your information is incorrect, please let us know.

Meet the IDEA Committee/Task Force Members of AFP-GLAC

Lisa J. Baxter, Director of Major Gifts, MLK Community Health Foundation

VP, IDEA

“As a daughter of immigrants, I was always taught that success is not what you have, but how you help others and show up for your community. That is your legacy. Being a part of the fabric of AFP-GLAC and given the responsibility to amplify my voice for those that feel invisible, silenced or erased in our sector is a great responsibility and one definitely worth fighting for. #OneAFP”

Danielle C. Lara, MSW, Consultant, Danielle C. Lara Consulting

Chair, IDEA

“I became a social worker because I wanted to take an active role in creating a more equitable and sustainable world, and I joined the I.D.E.A. Committee of AFP-GLAC for the very same reason. The fundraising sector has an incredible responsibility, and even more so a unique opportunity, to answer the call of our time and create a world that promotes connectedness, collaboration and courage to address challenging issues that affect our communities. Together, we are a force, and I believe in the future we are building.”

Jennifer Maduko, MPP, Director of Development CLARE/MATRIX

IDEA Programming Manager

Jennifer will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of I.D.E.A. Committee programming (webinars, healing circles, conversations etc.). This includes activities related to messaging, promotion, content development and delivery, relationship management of presenter/speaker, and backend logistics.

“As we enter a new year, I am proud to serve on the AFP-GLAC I.D.E.A. committee to help showcase voices of underrepresented fundraisers as we work to create a more inclusive space." 

Mariam Khwajazada

Strategic Plan Task Force for I.D.E.A. Council

Mariam will support the development and implementation of IDEA initiatives within the strategic plan of AFP-GLAC.

"I joined the I.D.E.A. task force committee because I believe it takes every one of us to do the work necessary to establish and maintain inclusion, diversity, equity, and access in our communities. I'm proud to be part of a vibrant and focused group!"

Sok TNG, Senior Prospect Researcher, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

I.D.E.A. Strategic Partnership Manager

Sok will be responsible for building strategic relationships with partners and sponsors to raise awareness and fiscal resources that will lend to the success of the I.D.E.A. Committee and AFP-GLAC overall.

“Diversity in fundraising spans across ethnic groups, across departments, and across stakeholders ... ... different perspectives matter.”

JOIN IN

If you want to make an impact and promote inclusion, diversity, equity, and access through AFP-GLAC and in your own non-profit, join the I.D.E.A. Committee please email  idea@afpglac.org for more information!

OPEN COMMITTEE ROLES

·    I.D.E.A. Content Creator – Responsible for creating print content for I.D.E.A. Committee’s in the form of monthly standalone pieces and newsletter blurbs. The I.D.E.A. Content Creator will also work in tandem with the I.D.E.A. Social Media Coordinator to publish and promote print content across social media channels of AFP-GLAC.

·    I.D.E.A. Social Media Coordinator – Responsible for increasing the I.D.E.A. Committee’s presence on social media and creating additional pathways for AFP-GLAC members and other AFP chapters, friends and supporters to engage.

Philanthropy Update

Chapter Fund

Thanks to generous support from our members our Greater Los Angeles Chapter was able to provide over $2,600 Scholarships in 2020 through the Chapter Fund. We provided scholarships to support the professional development of our members. Our Membership Scholarships were made in collaboration with AFP Global.

2020 Chapter Fund Honor Roll

Lisa Baxter, BA

Jennifer Berger, MPA

Elizabeth Birlet, MA

Barbara Bushnell, CFRE

Cassie Carter, PhD

Yuri Casco, CFRE

Catherine Chorness

Mario Clemente

Diana Corbin, CFRE

Yulanda Davis-Quarrie, CFRE

Michael Driebe, CFRE, MSLM

Melanie Elliott, MFA

Jennifer Ellspermann

Wendy Endsley

Lily Fuentez

Lupita Garza, CFRE

Mary Gimenez-Caulder, CFRE

Dan Griffin, CFRE

Yvette Herrera

Kristina Lamas, CFRE

Randy Lapin

Gina Long

Maple Street Management, Inc.

Lisa McKay

Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC

Shade Mokuolu

Terry Monteleone, CSPG CFRE

Eustace Montgomery Hicks

Dawn Mori

Felice Myers

Cynthia Nickell, MBA,CFRE

Patricia Ostiller, JD, CFRE

Felicity Palmer

Mike Radice

Genevieve Riutort

Andrea Salazar, BA

Julia Scheibmeir

Laura Schenasi

Mary Ann Schwartz

Ellen Sell

Peggy Smith, CFRE,CSPG

Kyle Stephanski

Sok Tng, MS

Jeanne Warlick

Ana Zavala

Scholarship Awards

12 Virtual Event Scholarships

4 Scholarships to National Philanthropy Day Conference & Awards Program

11 Membership Scholarships - in partnership with AFP Global

1 scholarship for a 2020 Chamberlain to attend AFP ICON 2021

1 Scholarship to the 2020 Chamberlain Runner Up Award

If you'd like to join our 2021 champions, visit us at the 2021 Chapter Fund Campaign.

BE the CAUSE Campaign

Our Donations to BE the CAUSE 2020, a campaign of AFP Global, raised $6,600, a percentage of which comes back to the chapter. BE the CAUSE helps fund local, national, and international programs including scholarships, leadership development, education and much more: programs like AFP LEAD, Chamberlain and Diversity Scholarships, ICON Summer Sessions, Research and Ethics Awareness Month.

2020 BE the CAUSE Honor Roll

President’s Club and Leadership Society

Michael Driebe, MSLM, CFRE

Terry Monteleone, CFRE, CSPG

President’s Club

Barbara Bushnell, CFRE

Ambassadors Club:

Emerald Level

Yulanda Davis Quarrie, CFRE, MS

Ruby Level

Lynn Baran McCarthy

Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC

Cynthia Nickell, CFRE, MBA

Sapphire Level

Yuri E. Casco, CFRE

Mary Anne Chern, ACFRE, FAHP

Friends of the Foundation

Cassie Carter, PhD

Candie Davidson-Goldbronn

Dan Griffin, CFRE

Kristina Lamas, CFRE

Tiffany Leung, MPA

Felicity Palmer, PhD

Julia Scheibmeir

For information on how to support Be the Cause visit https://afpglobal.org/donate.

Volunteer Opportunities

Call to Action

Many of our chapter activities are hosted by wonderful volunteers. We invite you to be part of our amazing cadre of volunteers in 2021.

Opportunities Available

Membership Committee - VP, Melanie Elliott, MFA, melhelliott@gmail.com

In the membership committee you have the opportunity to send monthly emails to new members, renewing members, lapsed members, and members on the cusp of lapsing.

Make phone calls to welcome new members. Assist at the membership table during monthly meetings. Answer questions for new members or direct them to the correct resource or contact. Send emails to prospective members with information about joining AFP, and assist in writing Member Spotlights that will appear in our chapter newsletter.

Education Committee - VP, Andrea Salazar, andreas@wellnestla.org  

Providing educational opportunities is one of the primary services that AFP provides to its members. Play an important role by helping to develop workshop and luncheon topics and securing speakers. We are seeking a wide variety of perspectives to ensure we are meeting the diverse needs of our membership.

Partners in Philanthropy (PIP) Committee – Chair, Lupita Garza, CFRE, garzagc@ah.org

The PIP Committee is responsible for raising funds through sponsorships from individuals or businesses interested in promoting their services through AFP advertising opportunities and events.

Ethics Committee – Chair, Barbara Bushnell, CFRE, barbarabushnell@att.net

The Ethics Committee is responsible for the planning and execution of the annual Ethics Breakfast, scheduled for October 5, 2021 at The Cathedral. The committee will determine the program, panel or speaker and work to publicize this free event to the chapter’s members. In addition, the committee will develop an on-going ethics education program that will be a part of regular chapter communications.

National Philanthropy Day – Chair, Nicole Capossela, nicole.capossela@teamrubiconusa.org

NPDCAL – Session Development/Planning

Help with the conference component of our event by developing educational tracks/sessions, as well as seek out potential speakers. Develop a post-event survey to collect feedback from attendees and provide feedback to participating speakers. Help secure speakers, sponsors and attendees throughout the year.

NPDCAL - Awards Luncheon/Program

Calling all event planners! National Philanthropy Day Awards Luncheon volunteers will help with the nomination and application process prior to our celebration lunch. Ensure materials are ready for printing and help with the planning of the luncheon logistics with the support of BDI Event producers. The day of the event, these committee members will help welcome honorees and guests to ensure they feel special welcome. Also, help secure speakers, sponsors and attendees throughout the year.

For more information on volunteering opportunities contact Susan Addleman, CFRE at susan.addleman@gmail.com or visit our website by clicking Volunteer Opportunities!

Members on the Move

·    Susan Addleman, CFRE: New position as Pacific Coast Regional Director of Fundraising at The Conservation Fund

·    If you earned your CFRE or other fundraising certification (CSPG or Lilly School of Philanthropy credentials) in 2020, please let us know and we will post on the AFP-GLAC website

·    If you have a new position or know someone who does, let us know by emailing communications@afpglac.org

Global Updates

Five AFP-GLAC members will be serving on Global Committees in 2021:

·    Barbara Bushnell, CFRE – AFP Foundation for Philanthropy

·    Yulanda Davis Quarrie, CFRE- Chair, Investment Committee

·    Melanie Elliott, MFA – Ethics Committee

·    Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC- Women’s Impact Initiative

·    Randi Sunshine – IDEA Committee

Closing Thoughts

·    “Life is a boomerang. What you give, you get.” We invite you to get involved in AFP-GLAC. Together we can advance the philanthropy profession and support the professional growth and opportunities for our membership.

·    If you have suggestions for content to our newsletter, please send suggestions to cmaguire@netzelgrigsby.com