NPDCAL
Conference Partner
NPDCAL
Gift Partner

AFP-GLAC
Chapter President
Mauria McPoland

President’s Message

Last week, president-elect Mike Driebe and I attended a webinar hosted by AFP Global entitled, It’s Time to Put Equity at the Heart of your Governance Framework & Strategy, presented by Anna Dewar, Co-CEO of Tidal Equity. It was a substantive and thought provoking presentation and I wanted to share some insights from the session, specifically how you can embed equity in strategy and decision making. Scroll down the newsletter for additional details.

For those of you who attended the Sept 15 webinar Creating Safe Spaces for Crucial Conversations about Race, I am certain you appreciated  learning how to acknowledge and reduce the barriers to engaging in constructive conversations about Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access and Race. For those of you who could not attend, don’t despair – you will be able to purchase this session combined with Vicki Clark’s webinar on Unconscious Bias in Fundraising for a small fee. Stay tuned!

Earlier in the year, we communicated that a few board members are participants on AFP Global Committees: Barbara Bushnell and Terry Monteleone on the AFP Foundation; Melanie Elliott on the Ethics Committee; and I am serving on the Women’s Impact Initiative (WII), which is part of the overall I.D.E.A. Initiative. For the third year, WII’s Mentoring Program is offering opportunities to women who would like to partner with a fundraising mentor for the next year. Check out the article from colleague Kathy Rabon further in the newsletter.

I hope many of you can attend our annual Ethics Event on October 1. In the meantime, you have opportunities from the Membership Team for connecting with each other via virtual get-togethers: Afternoons with AFP GLAC chats and Up and At ‘Em Job Club (for job seekers). Currently, there is a way to apply for a free membership - Global and GLAC are waiving the fees for one year – what a great opportunity! Application deadline is September 18.

We are less than 60 days away from the virtual 2020 National Philanthropy Day Conference and Awards Celebration on November 13. Honorees were announced, conference topics determined and outstanding speakers soon will be showcased. Our keynote is Dr. Kamau Bobb from Google. You don’t want to miss this exciting lineup, including Doug Freeman, Founder of National Philanthropy Day (with President Reagan) 35 years ago!

Stay well and stay safe everyone. And let us know how we can be of help to you

Sincerely,

Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC

35th Anniversary of National Philanthropy Day

The Association of Fundraising Professionals Greater Los Angeles Chapter is proud to announce this year's honorees!

Outstanding Corporate Foundation
Panda Cares Foundation

Outstanding Philanthropist
Cam and Peter Starrett

Outstanding Professional Fundraiser
Randy Shulman, The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens

Outstanding Nonprofit Organization
Monte Vista Grove Homes

Spirit of Philanthropy
Faye Washington, YWCA Greater Los Angeles

Covid Hero
Javier Angulo, Walmart

Shining Star
Dan Rothblatt, Jewish Community Foundation Los Angeles

Thank you to our Sponsors!

Altruistic Partner
Conference Partner

Individual Session Partner
Gift Partners

For sponsorship opportunities, please click here.

Tickets

Individual ticket prices for the Awards Show only $35.

For more information and to purchase tickets for the award show, click 
here.

For conference information click on the links below.
Agenda
Fees
Sessions

Education Update
Become_a_sponsor.jpg

Virtual Ethics Program: Perspectives on Ethics for Fund Raisers

Oct 1, 2020 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM (PT) $30. 1.50 CFRE credits. Scholarships available. Register Now.

Raising funds inevitably raises questions about ethical practices. Learn from a panel of professionals in fields ranging from banking to education and journalism as they discuss ethics and implications for philanthropy.

NEW! AFP-GLAC Past Programs Library
Did you miss an AFP-GLAC program you wanted to attend? Now with our online library of past events you can catch up!  For a reduced fee, you can download and listen to a selection of recent AFP-GLAC programs. Please note availability is subject to advance approval by all presenters to record the session. As a result, not all past programs will be available. We are charging a nominal fee for downloads to help support administration of our chapter.

Yvette Herrera
Vice President of Education

Membership Update
government_relations.jpg

AFP Installment Plan Available!

We understand that we are living in unprecedented times and that individuals and organizations may be watching their budgets. In recognition of that, AFP Global offers a membership installment plan for Associate and Professional categories of membership. This plan is available for members renewing their membership and to newly joining members. For information about the installment plan click Installment Plan.

To join or renew for the other categories, click Join AFP.

We are here for you and would be happy to answer any questions about membership. Feel free to reach out to Melanie Elliott, VP of Membership at melhelliott@gmail.com.

Afternoons with AFP-GLAC

Our FREE, members only, virtual “Nonprofit Happy Hour” will be a monthly gathering starting in October, date TBD. We’d love to see you there! Members, check your inbox for an invite soon.

Need an AFP Benefit Refresher?

AFP Membership: What’s in it for You?, a webinar for our chapter and hosted by Taryn Gold, MPA, Associate Vice President, Chapter Engagement, AFP Global, details the major benefits of AFP Global membership. Click here to view: AFP Membership Webinar!

Scholarships
scholarship.jpg

FREE AFP-GLAC Memberships!   September 18th deadline!

September 18th is the last day to submit your scholarship application for a free one-year membership with AFP Global and our AFP Los Angeles Chapter.  We have teamed together to provide five FREE Memberships for existing or former members who need assistance with their annual membership dues.  Five winners will be randomly selected from all eligible applicants on September 24, 2020.   Click here to complete a scholarship application.

Eligibility Criteria for Free Membership Opportunity

• Current members in good standing or former (lapsed) members
  • Each person must complete a brief application, including a section asking why you are applying for the membership scholarship (economic hardship, job loss due to COVID-19, etc.)
  • Current membership expiration must be prior to February 28, 2021
  • Must complete application no later than September 18, 2020

Scholarships for New Members to Promote Chapter Diversity

In addition to the five memberships for current/former members with financial need, AFP-Global and AFP-GLAC is offering free member scholarships to new members with the objective of strengthening the diversity of our chapter. If interested, please email IDEA@afpglac.org no later than September 18th.

Educational scholarships available

Our AFP Los Angeles chapter also offers member scholarships for our virtual events and our November NPD conference. Please click here to visit our Chapter Fund Scholarship page.

Scholarship opportunities are made possible by the generous donations of our members to the AFP-GLAC chapter fund and will be awarded until all scholarship funds have been used.

If you have any questions, please contact Jeanne Warlick, Scholarship Chair at JWarlick@MaterDolorosa.org or Melanie Elliott, VP of Membership at melhelliott@gmail.com.

Partner with AFP-GLAC!
Become_a_sponsor.jpg

Looking for ways to increase your exposure to fundraising professionals in the Greater Los Angeles area?

Become a National Philanthropy Day Conference and Awards Program sponsor!

Click Here to visit the National Philanthropy Day Conference and Awards Program sponsorship webpage.

Questions? Contact PIP Committee Chair, Jennifer Ellspermann, at jellspermann@komenlacounty.org.
Member-Benefits-300x218.png

Join the I.D.E.A. Committee

The Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (I.D.E.A.) Committee helps to drive the chapter’s diversity efforts. We are committed to having the broadest possible representation of individuals, experiences and perspectives in regards to membership, board leadership, program presenters/content, and resources with the ultimate goal of cultivating safe spaces for open and frank discussions on these critical issues.

If you want to make an impact and promote inclusion, diversity, equity, and access through AFP-GLAC and in your own non-profit, join the I.D.E.A. Committee.

Please email idea@afpglac.org for more information!

Scholarships Available
To assist AFP-GLAC members who are between employers or work for smaller organizations, this scholarship will pay the cost for attending our online events. To apply, please complete and submit the scholarship application. Click here to access the Scholarship Application form. 

More from Candid

Candid has a plethora of resources and data on perspectives from the field on diversity, equity and inclusion at your fingertips. Click here to explore more.

It’s Time to Put Equity at the Heart of your Governance Framework & Strategy

Presented by Anna Dewar, Co-CEO of Tidal Equity. And hosted by AFP Global.

The vision of Tidal Equity is a world in which equality is the new status quo and all people can achieve their full potential.

The key takeaways from this outstanding webinar include:

• Make equity a core value and ensure you strive to express that value every time you make a critical decision
  • Build your strategy out the perspectives of the most representative and equitable group possible
  • Ensure that your strategy deeply resonates with the people you actually serve
  • Strive for a truly diverse and representative leadership and board

How can I as a white person learn more and do more?

These two organizations challenge racism and work for racial justice in transformative alliance with people of color.

Aware LA: https://www.awarela.org

SURJ: https://www.showingupforracialjustice.org
AFP Member Benefit

Brush Up on Your Fundraising Skills With Free Courses From Blackbaud University - Free for AFP Members

Take some time to brush up on your fundraising skills! AFP, in partnership with Blackbaud University, is excited to offer introductory-level courses on fundraising and relevant nonprofit topics at no charge to AFP members!

Register for a Course >>

Women's Impact Initiative

New Opportunity at AFP Global: Women’s Impact Initiative Mentoring Program

Are you a seasoned fundraising professional willing to help grow others and the profession?  Are you new to fundraising and hoping to make this a life-long career and take yourself to the next level? 

AFP Global’s Women’s Impact Initiative launched the WII Mentoring and Development Program to provide support and guidance to females in the profession as they develop their leadership skills to grow and sustain the profession.  This innovative program provides specialized leadership training opportunities, executive coaching, the opportunity to learn and grow in the profession and a rich, rewarding cohort experience. 

Want more information?  Check out the Alford Group Mentoring and Development Program on the AFP Global website at https://afpidea.org/wii/mentoring_program

Check out DonorPerfect!

DonorPerfect is your trusted partner in fundraising success, and an AFP Strategic Partner.

DonorPerfect Fundraising Software offers affordable subscriptions packed with the tools and features your nonprofit needs to shine online!   DonorPerfect is rated #1 for ease-of-use, customer support, and value by nonprofit professionals in the most recent Software Advice survey. That means acclimating your staff and setting up are a breeze and gaining donor-engaging, money-raising tools to bolster your online campaigns won’t hurt your budget. Learn more at donorperfect.com

Philanthropy and Volunteers
philanthropy.jpg

A “fresh off the press” update -- we have 100% board participation with both our own Chapter Fund as well as Global’s Be The Cause campaign.  Thank you, Board of Directors!  At this time, I’d like to invite all of you who have yet had a chance to join us.   Here’s a friendly recap of the two campaigns to participate in:

1) Our own Chapter Fund is here to provide funds for scholarships for (virtual) conferences, webinars and workshops, as well as online fundraising courses and CFRE support for our GLAC members.  Your participation is a testament to our strength and that we will continue to grow.  Here is the easy online portal to make more convenient to participate:  https://www.kindest.com/campaign/afp-glac-chapter-fund

2) BE THE CAUSE funds helps to fund local, national and international programs such as scholarships, leadership development, education and much more.  In addition, a portion of every donation that a member makes goes back to our local chapter and it’s super easy to do:

• Make a gift to the BE the CAUSE Campaign online.
  • Text AFP to 56512 and follow the prompts!

Thank you for your support!

Jennifer Berger
VP, Philanthropy and Volunteers

Ethics Update

Do you have ways to handle ethical dilemmas?  We all have different methods and mine might be similar to yours.  Before I make a decision I ask myself a few questions:

• What does my gut tell me? Am I comfortable with this?
  • How would I feel if my decision showed up on the front page of the local paper?
  • How would I explain this to a loved one? Would they agree with what I did?

These have served me pretty well, but just recently came across a 1981 article in the Harvard Business Review by Laura Nash entitled, “Ethics Without the Sermon.”  She was a senior research fellow at the time and is now a Ph. D., having served as Director of the Institute for Values-Centered Leadership at Harvard Divinity School.  Her article is almost 40 years old, but in it she asks us to consider a series of questions that I think are still helpful today:

Have you defined the problem accurately?

How would you define the problem if you stood on the other side of the fence?

How did this situation occur in the first place?

To whom and to what do you give your loyalty as a person and as a member of the organization?

What is your intention in making this decision?

How does your intention compare with the probable results?

Whom could your decision or action injure?

Can you discuss the problem with the affected parties before you make your decision?

Are you confident your decision will be as valid over a long period of time as it seems now?

Could you disclose without qualm your decision or action to your boss, your CEO, the board of directors, your family, society as a whole?

What is the symbolic potential of your action if understood?  If misunderstood?

Under what conditions would you allow exceptions to your stand?

It’s quite a list to consider, but her questions invite us to gather the facts; be objective to the extent possible; try to see issues from all sides; understand where your loyalties lie; determine the impact of your decision and much more.  I’d encourage you to read Dr. Nash’s article and her thinking behind each of her questions.  While it was aimed at leaders in the for profit sector, it’s still timely for us in 2020.  You’ll find it at https://hbr.org/1981/11/ethics-without-the-sermon .

I also hope you’ll make plans to join us for AFP/GLAC’s annual Ethics Event on October 1st.  It will be conducted over Zoom and will feature three panelists from diverse professional backgrounds. Our moderator will ask questions relating to their experience dealing with ethical issues that should help us discover some of the commonalities we all face.  Watch for your invitation to join us at 10:30 a.m. for: “Perspectives on Ethics for Fund Raisers,” an hour and a half of lively discussion and Q & A.  I look forward to seeing you there and, as always, thank you for keeping ethics at the forefront of our profession.

Michael Driebe
AFP Ethics Chair

Welcome!

new_members.jpeg

Welcome to our New Members!  Thank you for joining AFP-GLAC!

Linwood Boomer
Patricia Doktor
Carla Juarez
Amie Kashon
Sierra Smith

Welcome new organizations!

Healing California
The Young Shakespeareans
Open Paths Counseling Center

Thank you to our Renewed Members!

Susan Addleman CFRE
Michelle Cox
Judith Hamilton-Marquez
Lindsey Lansburgh
Mallory Loring
Jacqueline Meek, BA,CPA
Tricia Ortega
Kelsey Picken
Alice Rhee
Cari B. Uslan, CFRE
Mr. Jeremy A. Weinstein, MS, BA
Ms. Molly Ann Woods, CFRE
Mr. Matthew P. Zarcufsky, CFRE

We appreciate your continued support of AFP and our GLAC Chapter!

​​​​