Guidelines for Submitting Nominations
Deadline for Submission is Midnight, Wednesday October 9th
1. Nominations are open to the public. Nominations for any award may be submitted by an individual member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), OR non-member individual or organization.
2. Winners will be selected by a committee of for-profit and not-for-profit community leaders, which will include current AFP - Cape Fear Region members.
3. Professional Fundraising Executive of the Year must be an active AFP Cape Fear Region member and nominations are voted on by AFP - Cape Fear Region chapter members.
4. The deadline for nominations for AFP-Cape Fear Region National Philanthropy Day is October 9th, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Late entries will not be accepted.
5. All nominations MUST be submitted using the forms available above, here on the AFP-Cape Fear Region website.
6. All nominations MUST address all of the criteria set out for each award. Narratives should contain complete, clear and concise answers to the criteria. A 2-3 sentence summary bio is requested for the program.
7. Nominations will be judged on the responses to the criteria.
8. Incomplete nominations, or nominations that do not address all of the criteria, will not be considered.
9. Before nominating individuals, please confirm they will accept the award, if chosen, and that they will attend the breakfast 7:30 am on November 13, 2019. All nominees are encouraged to attend. Award Honorees are notified at the Awards breakfast.
For any questions, please email Lauren Daley, AFP Cape Fear Region NPD Nominations Committee
Past National Philanthropy Day Honorees
PHILANTHROPIST OF THE YEAR
2018 Joe and Whitney Finley
2017 Judy Girard
2016 Bobby Harrelson
2015 Ricky and Diane Benton
2014 Peter Hexter
2013 John Monteith
2012 Reid and Linda Murchison
2011 Tim Milam
2010 Louise Coggins and Dickson Baldridge (TIE)
2009 Linda and Vance Ferrigno
PHILANTHROPIC ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR
2018 Food Lion
2017 Wells Fargo
2016 Live Oak Bank
2015 Junior League of Wilmington, NC
2014 Home Depot Foundation
2013 First Federal Bank
2012 State Employees Credit Union
2011 Wilmington Civitan Chapter
2010 Corning, Inc.
PROFESSIONAL FUNDRAISING EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR
2018 JC Lyle, WARM
2017 Mary Bradley, WHQR
2016 Jane Birnbach, CFRE, Good Shepherd Center
2015 Bob Jones, CFCC
2014 Vicki Dull, Harrelson Center
2013 Kitty Yerkes, Habitat For Humanity
2012 Melissa Reabold, UWCFA
2011 Diane Lomax, Domestic Violence Shelter
2010 Reed Wallace, Wilmington Symphony
2009 Laurie Taylor, CFRE, Lower Cape Fear Hospice
VOLUNTEER FUNDRAISER OF THE YEAR
2018 Meg Caswell & Liz Carroll
2017 Linda Wilson
2016 Laura Jones
2015 Sandy Spiers
2014 Betsy Leonard
2013 Denise Szaloky
2012 Coach Ronald Watson
2011 Murrie and Teresa Lee
2010 Bo Dean
2009 Beth Pancoe
STUDENT PHILANTHROPIST OF THE YEAR
2018 Vincent Walsh
2017 Katie Evans
2016 No Nominations
2015 Robert Penna-Welch
2014 Drake Harper, Brunswick Community College
2013 Hoggard High School Art Club - Katy Hufham
2012 Michael Castoro, Topsail High Performing Arts
2011 No Nominations
2010 UNCW Chapter of Pi Sigma Epsilon
FUNDRAISING BOARD OF THE DIRECTORS OF THE YEAR
2018 Lakeside Partners
2017 Phoenix Hometown Hires
2016 Brunswick Community College Foundation
2015 Cape Fear Community College Foundation
2014 No Nominations
2013 Airlie Gardens Foundation
2012 The Carousel Center for Abused Children
What is National Philanthropy Day:
Philanthropy is “the love of humankind,” and National Philanthropy Day® (NPD)—November 15—is the day that thousands of people around the world come together to both (1) put that word into action and (2) recognize the change that word has brought to our communities.
NPD is a celebration of philanthropy—giving, volunteering and charitable engagement—that highlights the accomplishments, large and small, that philanthropy—and all those involved in the philanthropic process—makes to our society and our world.
National Philanthropy Day® is both an official day and a grassroots movement. Every year, since 1986 when President Ronald Reagan first proclaimed November 15th as National Philanthropy Day®, communities across the globe have celebrated by hosting events to recognize activities of donors, volunteers, foundations, leaders, corporations, and others engaged in philanthropy.