ABOUT YOUNG & HEALTHY:
Founded in 1990, Young & Healthy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission to protect and improve the physical and mental health of uninsured and underinsured children and their families in the greater Pasadena area through prevention, education, family support, and access to healthcare services. Based in Pasadena and deeply embedded in the community, Young & Healthy enjoys long-standing collaborations with nonprofits, civic leaders, and community members that amplify the impact of their capacity to offer solutions to challenging health problems.
The problem with healthcare services in the Pasadena area is not one of availability, but of affordability and accessibility. One of the greatest obstacles to good health is poverty. Far too many children enrolled in area schools live in neighborhoods that report the lowest per capita income and the greatest concentration of poverty in the region. In the Pasadena community, about one-third of the children need the care that Young & Healthy provides.
Young & Healthy’s network of over 300 professional volunteers provides donated medical, dental, mental health and other healthcare services to underserved low-income children ranging in age from infancy to 18 years, throughout greater Pasadena. We refer the children in need of care to one of the volunteer providers on a rotating basis. The provider treats that child in their own private office, free-of-charge.
In addition to healthcare support, Young & Healthy empowers families to set a course for their children to thrive. Empowerment strategies include insurance enrollment, teaching families how to maximize benefits and advocating when coverage is denied. During the tax season, Young & Healthy serves as a resource hub where individuals come for free tax preparation assistance. The goal is to help more families overcome the strictures of poverty by accessing earned income tax credits to which they are entitled.
Young & Healthy is also committed to creating a healthy community for children and families by educating children, parents, and educators about how to become more aware of and sensitive to those who have suffered trauma. Partnering with the Pasadena Area School District, we also deliver workshops that enhance parents’ understanding of child development and work with educators to amplify their knowledge about trauma and adverse childhood experiences to support student success.
For more information about Young & Healthy, please visit https://yhpasadena.org/
ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
This is an exciting time to join us at Young & Healthy! We are looking for a high-energy, dynamic, and strategic development and communications professional who will exude enthusiasm and create visibility on behalf of Young & Healthy, our mission, and our core values. As a member of our Leadership Team, the Director of Development and Communications will provide strong leadership and creativity to strategically grow our donor base and contribute to the thoughtful advancement of the organization on a solid foundation of loyal donor support.
With support from a contract Grant Writer and the Development Assistant, the Director of Development and Communications will build and manage a successful development initiative with responsibilities including but not limited to:
Strategy & Planning:
· Collaborate with the Executive Director and the Development Committee to plan, create, oversee, and implement a comprehensive multi-year asset development plan.
· Develop and implement innovative strategies to increase support from new funding sources.
· Collaborate with the Executive Director to explore and implement equity-based development and philanthropy strategies and communications.
· Participate in annual budget planning activities and provide revenue projections.
· Lead stewardship strategies for preserving and nurturing existing donor relationships.
· Provide active leadership and participation in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of new donors.
· Manage and build a portfolio of existing and new foundations and corporate relationships to meet annual fundraising goals.
· Manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of giving campaigns aimed at donors of all levels of giving.
· Establish relationships with professional advisors and local businesses to secure major gifts, planned gifts, and corporate sponsorships.
· Accompany board members and the Executive Director on meetings with donors and make personal calls and visits to donors to encourage the establishment of charitable funds.
· Working with the Grant Writer, lead cultivation of foundations and government grants, including drafting proposals and progress reports.
· Research and identify potential new funders.
· Lead events planning and coordination with volunteers for annual donor events.
· Introduce concepts for creative new approaches for fundraising and friend-raising events.
· Work with the Executive Director and Leadership Team to develop and monitor event budgets and generate revenue.
· Represent Young & Healthy at community and Young & Healthy sponsored events.
· Lead Young & Healthy’s efforts to increase our media presence to effectively convey to target audiences who we are and what we do.
· Collaborate with staff to develop messaging and content to advance Young & Healthy’s mission and appeal to donors through a range of communications outlets.
· Deliver compelling messaging and maintain robust communications that reflect Young & Healthy’s mission, culture, and values to external partners, board members, and donors.
· Work with vendors and oversee production and dissemination of fundraising materials, such as donor updates, solicitations, invitations, and other donor-focused publications.
Other Organizational Support:
· Create reports to the Strategic Advancement (Development) Committee, Finance Committee, and the Board to help track progress and status of all revenue sources.
· Serve as the staff liaison to our Strategic Advancement (Development) Committee and support the Chair in planning, preparing, and disseminating all committee materials.
· Oversee Young & Healthy’s donor and grants databases and data entry. Ensure up to date content. Coordinate acknowledgment process. Make recommendations to strengthen and improve same.
DESIRED TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
We seek a dynamic, creative, and entrepreneurial professional, preferably with ties to the Pasadena area and with a record of success in:
· Fundraising, including planning and executing a development program.
· Working effectively with executive leadership, Board members, and other staff and volunteers to develop and implement clear development goals, systems, and priorities.
· Developing long-term relationships with the Board and donors.
· Developing stories that inform donors, clients, and the public about the organization’s value in the community.
The Development Director will have a strong commitment to ensuring that Young & Healthy’s programs, practices, and procedures are developed and implemented through a lens of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. They will support these values and ensure their on-going education about how diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility are essential to providing excellent services in our community.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE:
Your success in this role will reflect your ability to provide:
· Leadership with an extraordinary work ethic and the highest level of integrity and sound judgment.
· Exceptional communications skills, including the ability to tell the Young & Healthy story through strong written messages, social media, and oral presentations.
· Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
· Active and intuitive listening with the ability to perceive and act on nuance and subtlety.
· A creative and enthusiastic flair for identifying new opportunities and approaches to build and maintain a solid philanthropic base of support from loyal donors and funders.
· A responsive, results-oriented approach to the work of organizational advancement with excellent follow-through.
CAREER TRACK LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
The successful candidate should have:
· At least three years of broad-based fundraising experience with knowledge of current and evolving trends in major, annual, corporate, foundation, government, and planned gifts.
· Documented success in creating and managing a comprehensive development program.
· A strong record of personal achievement in cultivating donors and raising major gifts.
· Background and experience creating fundraising communications and marketing to engage donors and provide updates on programs and services.
Previous fundraising experience for organizations serving underserved youths and their families, promoting health equity, or working in partnership with schools is preferred but not required.
We encourage candidates with residential ties to greater Pasadena and the greater San Gabriel Valley and relevant external relationships to apply.
A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Employees work primarily from our office in Pasadena, CA.
The annual salary range is $90,000-105,000 based on experience.
A comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Young & Healthy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state, or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com