Learn more about the Certified Fund Raising Executive and the Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive credentials.
CFREWhat is the CFRE?
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential demonstrates an individual’s mastery of the standards set for core knowledge and skills required of fundraising executives after five years of experience. This practice-based designation requires demonstration of having met these standards through both an application and a written examination.
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential provides you with a recognizable demonstration of your personal and professional achievement and commitment.Who administers/recognizes the CFRE?
The CFRE Program is governed by the CFRE Professional Certification Board. The program and the board is administered in cooperation with leading philanthropic associations:
ACFREWhat is the ACFRE?
- Association of Christian Development Professionals (ACDP)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Association of Fundraising Consultants (AFC)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Association Canadienne des Professionnels en dons Planifies (ACPDP)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- Fundraising Institute Australia (FIA)
- Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
- International Catholic Stewardship Council (ICSC)
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- North American YMCA Development Organization (NAYDO)
- Philanthropic Services for Institutions (PSI)
- United Way of America
The Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive Program is administered by the ACFRE Professional Certification Board.
Certification as ACFRE requires successful completion of four stages of the process, which must be completed sequentially: a written application, a written examination, a portfolio review, and an oral peer review.What opportunities meet the ACFRE requirements?
Candidates for ACFRE Professional Certification should be aware that not all "advanced" or "senior executive" continuing education opportunities are acceptable for the ACFRE application process.
To be eligible, such activities must address one or more specific topics in Advanced Organizational Management or Advanced Organizational Leadership, as described in the ACFRE Application and Guidelines.What criteria do I need to satisfy?
Those interested in pursuing an ACFRE certification must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 10 years of experience in professional fundraising.
- Currently have or hope to attain a leadership or managerial role in philanthropy.
- Want to expand their knowledge and understanding of fundraising history, philosophy, and theory beyond a basic level, and/or
- Have identified the ACFRE designation as a career objective.