AFP Member Benefits
Below are major benefits you'll receive when you join the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Sound good? Then Join AFP and become a part of the world's largest community of charitable fundraisers.
|Research and Practice Tools
• AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards
• Ethics Assessment Inventory
• International Statement of Ethical Principles
• Promote Donor Bill of Rights
• AFP Website
• Hot Topics on Fundraising Issues
• Fundraising Tools & Templates
• Information Exchange
• Think Tank Research
• AFP Compensation and Benefits Study
• Fundraising Effectiveness Study
• Nonprofit Research Collaborative Survey
• Opt in lists communities - Discussion Groups
• Advancing Philanthropy Magazine - Print
• Advancing Philanthropy Magazine - Digital
Please note: Collegiate, Global, Young Professional and Small Organizational members automatically receive the digital magazine only.
• eWire electronic newsletter
• Ready Reference Series
• Free Webinars
• Email blasts
• Membership Directory
• Consultants and Resource Directory
• Speakers Database
• Professional Job Postings Online
• Mentoring Programs
• Serve on IHQ Committees/Task Forces
• Serve on IHQ Board of Directors
• Strategic Alliance memberships with sister fundraising organizations
• Online Knowledge Portal
• Legislative Activities
• Emerging Fundraisers Academy
• AFP Leadership Academy
• AFP eCourses with MindEdge
• AFP Fundraising Principles and Practice
• International Fundraising Conference
Available Chapter Benefits
• AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising
• CFRE Review Course
• Hemispheric Congress
• AFP Webinars
• Nonprofit Management Institute
• Center on Wealth and Philanthropy
• The Giving Institute Consultants Academy
• Faculty Training Academy
• Research Think Tank Registration
• ACFRE Certification
• CFRE Certification
• AFP International Advanced Diploma in Fundraising
• AFP Merchandise
• NorthPark University
• Tec de Monterrey Diploma Program
• Discounts on products provided by Strategic Partners
• Giving USA
• AFP Graduate Certificate in Philanthropic • Fundraising- IU Center on Philanthropy
• Member Discounts on Monthly Educational Programs
• Member Discounts on Chapter Conferences
• Member Discounts on National Philanthropy Day events
• Volunteer Opportunities
• Chapter Scholarships
• Chapter Website
• Chapter Newsletter
• Chapter Mentoring Program
• Chapter Job Banks
AFP Membership: FAQs & Categories
Have questions about AFP membership? The FAQs below should answer them. If you have more, please contact the Member/Chapter Services Department at AFP International Headquarters, (800) 666-3863.
Does my membership belong to me, or to the organization I work for?
It depends on the type of membership that you join. If you are a Professional, Young Professional, Global eMember, Collegiate or Associate member, the membership is yours and goes with you if leave an organization.
The Nonprofit Organizational Membership for both large and small organizations, and the Executive Circle Business Member or Endorser Business Member belongs to the organization or company. If an employee leaves, the organization may replace the name of the designated member. New members still need to fill out a membership application and sign their adherence to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards.
Does my membership stay with me if I switch organizations?
If you are in one of the individual membership categories the membership goes with you if you switch organizations.
How much does membership cost?
When a member joins AFP, he or she joins both the international organization and a local chapter (exceptions exist if a chapter is not located close to the member). Thus, a member pays annual dues to both the International Headquarters and the chapter.
How much are the dues to International Headquarters?
Your membership dues depend on the type of membership applicable to you. Members must self-assess to determine the type of membership for which they are eligible. Prospective members should self-determine the category of membership, and renewing members should review and reassess membership categories. Descriptions are below.
AFP Membership Categories
PROFESSIONAL MEMBER - $280.00 + chapter dues
- Professional: Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, work within the U.S. and Canada and are compensated for their services (Members outside these two countries may join in this category as a volunteer fundraiser); subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards ("Code") and its bylaws; promote the Donor Bill of Rights and, are employed or have been employed by an institution or organization that provides benefits to society.
ASSOCIATE - $280.00 + chapter dues
- Associate: May be extended to persons who are engaged in fields related to fundraising, volunteers, or those who have mutual interests with fundraising professionals, and who subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws; and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
YOUNG PROFESSIONAL - $95 ($65 plus $30 chapter dues)
- Young Professional: Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, work within the U.S. and Canada and are compensated for their services, and are 30 years old or younger, must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws and promote the Donor Bill of Rights and be employed, or have been employed by an organization that provides benefits to society.
Global E-Membership - $50 + chapter dues
- Global e-membership in the Association shall be open to members outside of the U.S. and Canada who wish to join in an electronic-only based membership category. Global e-membership members must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
Collegiate - $35 + chapter dues
- Collegiate: Collegiate membership in the Association shall be open to (a) students in a two- or four-year full time degree granting, certificate, or diploma program at an accredited college or university, or (b) individuals who serve as a faculty advisor for a collegiate chapter of AFP. Collegiate members must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights. Membership in this category is limited to those students affiliated with a Collegiate Chapter of AFP.
Retired - $75 + chapter dues
- Retired: Retired membership in the Association shall be open to individuals who no longer practice as paid fundraising professionals but who, at the time they seek Retired Member status, have been Professional members of the Association for the immediate past five consecutive years and subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
Business Members – Executive Circle - $5,000, Endorser - $1,500
- Business: Business membership in the Association shall be open to for-profit organizations whose work complements the fundraising profession. The Executive Circle Business member shall be entitled to designate two employees to receive full benefits as Associate members of the Association. Endorser Business Members shall be entitled to designate one employee to receive full benefits as an Associate member of the Association. The designated individuals, as well as the organization which constitutes the Business member, must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
Nonprofit Organizational Membership – Large Category – starting at $2,200
- Nonprofit Organizational – Large: Shall be open to nonprofit organizations who wish to have multiple members in the association. The organization will designate a minimum of eight (8) to receive Professional member benefits. The memberships may be transferred to another individual if the original member leaves the organization. Must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
Nonprofit Organizational Membership – Small Category - $175.00 (Including chapter dues)
- Nonprofit Organizational Membership – Small: Open to nonprofit organizations who can answer yes to all the following criteria:
- An operating budget of less than $1,000,000
- A fundraising department with less than two (2) Full time equivalent (FTE) staff
- Individually incorporated or otherwise organized as a separate entity in the laws of the specific country; and
- Not affiliated with a larger institution supporting their operations.
The organization will designate one fundraising professional to receive the benefits offered in this membership category. The membership may be transferred to another individual if the original member leaves the organization. Must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights. Limit one membership per organization.
How much are chapter dues?
Chapter dues vary from $25 to $125, depending on the chapter. Click on Join AFP to determine chapter dues.
How can I find out if there is a chapter in my local area?
Search in the Chapters section or contact the AFP International Headquarters at (800) 666-3863.
How long does my membership last?
Your membership lasts 12 months, starting in the month you officially become a member.