Position: Director of Fund Development, OneWest Louisville
Location: Louisville, KY
OneWest is a community development corporation committed to elevating our entire city through commercial development growth in west Louisville. OneWest was formed in 2014 by a diverse group of professionals in Leadership Louisville’s Bingham Fellows program who believed that the clearest path to economic renaissance in west Louisville is an influx of private, philanthropic, and public capital. The agency believes that Louisville’s continued growth and vitality rests primarily on intentional and focused inclusion of west Louisville. West Louisville comprises 12 square miles, 350 blocks, and 60,000 residents. On its own, it would be the fourth largest city in Kentucky. One West is currently in the midst of a major expansion that seeks $10M to develop commercial, retail and mix-use projects within west end Louisville neighborhoods. This initiative will see OneWest acquire, renovate lease and sell commercial properties along important corridors with the expectation of increasing the number of local and minority business owners, who will continue their commitment to a thriving community driven west-Louisville.
Duties of the Director of Fund Development
The Director leads the fund development efforts of OneWest and is expected to plan and execute all aspects of the development department, including but not limited to: major gifts, annual and capital campaigns, grants, reporting, donor recognition, direct mail campaigns, email communications, fundraising and cultivation events, and board engagement. An important and early focus of the new Director will be to lead the successful execution of a multi-million comprehensive fundraising effort. In concert with this initiative, the Director will also be charged with expanding and diversifying OneWest’s fundraising program to increase long-term sustainable operating support for the agency’s mission that will aspire to $3M annually after three years. In each of these efforts, the Director will look to increase both the number of donors and revenue to the agency. The Director is first and foremost the lead fundraising professional for OneWest and should expect to be meeting daily with current and potential major contributors in order to cultivate, solicit and steward gifts. The Director must have excellent oral and written communication skills, be articulate, poised and professional in all situations and be able to work closely with the President & CEO to support and guide all fundraising visits. The Director must also analyze data to increase support by regularly improving methods for cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, retention and increased giving across the region and nationally. This position is the key senior staff member to serve as liaison to the Fundraising Committee. The Director must be a team player, flexible in working with varied constituents including Board Members, local advocates, volunteers and OneWest staff among others. The Director reports to the President and CEO.
The successful candidate for Director of Fund Development will demonstrate:
- Prior experience as a front-line fundraising professional raising major gifts for both capital and annual campaigns with a sizeable nonprofit organization is essential. We prefer at least 5 years’ experience in progressively more responsible positions that directly relate to the duties stated above.
- Successful track record with corporate and individual major gift development and planned giving programs.
- Experience in all forms of fund development including annual giving, grant writing, special events, online giving, and capital campaigns.
- Proven management experiences achieving ambitious fundraising goals and adhering to budgets. We prefer prior fundraising experience aligned to goals of at least $1,000,000 annually or more in organizations where public charitable support accounts for at least half of the budget. Candidates with National or Regional experience a plus.
- An affinity for and a demonstrative knowledge of Community Development issues and the role of Community Development Corporations with an emphasis on programs related to advocacy, capacity building and commercial development.
- Demonstrated commitment to a career in fundraising and to the professional standards and ethics of fundraising, as well as a demonstrated ability to uphold the professional standards of confidentiality and workplace ethics.
- Experience in developing, budgeting and implementing annual and strategic development plans with the ability to analyze, evaluate and prepare reports regarding development program results.
- Ability to successfully work with all types of volunteers, but especially Board-level volunteers.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and donor database software. Experience with Little Green Light a plus.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends, including infrequent overnight stays.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- A completed bachelors’ degree is required master’s degree preferred.
When we interview candidates and speak with their references, we are looking for demonstrated proof that the next Director of Fund Development can:
- Inspire, engage and influence others to embrace the mission of OneWest, to give generously of their time and financial resources, and to ask others to do the same;
- Demonstrate excitement about and passion for Community Development issues among all audiences;
- Strengthen relationships and build trust and respect with key donors;
- Lead through action, keeping the vision of OneWest at the forefront of fundraising work; and lead by example, giving volunteers clear direction that affirms the underlying mission;
- Drive execution by translating strategic goals into operational reality and holding all accountable to agreed-upon timelines and outcomes;
- Resolve conflicts and build coalitions with sensitivity, integrity and follow-through;
- Demonstrate positivity in interactions with the staff, board, donors, volunteers, audience members and community;
- Highly organized, self-starter with problem-solving skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Dependable, excellent judgment and demonstrated ability to operate in a team-oriented environment.
- Very strong written and oral communication skills.
OneWest is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in its workplace and offers an excellent salary and benefits package including Medical, Vision, Dental and IRA.
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: (email@example.com. To expedite review of your credentials, please place “OneWest” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be considered until the position is filled. For more information about OneWest visit: https://onewest.org/
PLEASE CONTACT our Search Counsel by mail or email only, please:
David Cobb, JD/ Senior Consultant
Ashley|Rountree and Associates
2525 Nelson Miller Parkway, Suite 106
Louisville, KY 40223