Program: Uncomfortable Conversations
Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2022
Time: 8:30: Registration, 9:00 – 10:00 am Program
Location: Waitzer Hall, 10th floor, Rm 1031 (735 Fairfax Ave, Norfolk, VA 23507)
Cost: $15 Members; $20 Nonmembers (includes breakfast)
Facilitators: Virginia Thumm, Virginia Fundraising Consultants and Nicole Pellegrino, CFRE, EVMS
AFP celebrates October as Ethics Awareness Month. And while we celebrate in October, ethics is critical all the time. As fundraisers, we are often faced with delicate situations -- whether they be with donors, Board members, colleagues or even supervisors. These conversations can be simply uncomfortable or touch on ethical dilemmas. This month’s session will review several sample difficult situations and discuss how best to handle them. Participants are also encouraged to submit questions or situations for discussion anonymously by Friday, October 7th.
October is also our annual meeting. Please note that a portion of the meeting will be reserved for a vote on the 2023 Slate of Officers.
Limited capacity, so register by Friday, October 14th at 5pm.
A note about logistics for our attendees:
The AFP-HR board looks forward to having you at our annual meeting on Tuesday, October 18, at 9:00 am (registration and breakfast at 8:30). This interactive session will focus on challenging conversations we often have as fundraising professionals. We encourage you to take time to complete the Conflict Resolution Style quiz and learn more about your approach to uncomfortable situations before the meeting.
Important Parking Information:
Location(s): Eastern Virginia Medical School
(Physical address for GPS: 700 West Olney Road, Norfolk, VA 23507) Meeting in the Waitzer Hall Lobby (directions below).
* Enter the medical campus from Colley Avenue via a) Fairfax Avenue or b) Olney Road
* If you enter via Fairfax Avenue, turn right onto Wagner Road and enter the visitor's parking garage on your left
* If you enter via Olney Road, turn left onto Wagner Road to enter the visitor's parking garage on your right
* After parking your car, exit the garage on the back side, where the elevators are.
* Walking out of the garage, turn left.
* (There is a sidewalk beside the garage that will take you to Fairfax Road.)
* When approaching the end of garage, EVMS Andrews Hall will be in front of you on the Left.
* You'll be at the intersection of Fairfax Ave. and Children's Lane.
* Walk across Fairfax Avenue.
* Follow the sidewalk down the side of Andrews Hall towards Brambleton Avenue.
* Waitzer Hall has a tiered grass terrace and a statue in the front.
* Enter into the lobby of Waitzer Hall.
* We will be at the lobby to guide you to the meeting.
* Please plan on arriving to campus a few minutes early to allow time to park, walk to the Waitzer Hall, and take the elevators to the tenth floor.