Company: Virginia Stage Company (VSC)
Date posted: August 17, 2020
Location: Norfolk, VA
Reports to: Producing Artistic Director & Managing Director
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Virginia Stage Company (VSC) seeks an experienced, highly motivated and engaging Director of Development to join its leadership team. Working in close collaboration with the Producing Artistic Director, Managing Director and an engaged Board of Trustees, the Director of Development’s primary responsibilities include planning, implementing and managing comprehensive fundraising initiatives to achieve the contributed revenue goals of $1.5 million annually. As VSC looks ahead after celebrating 40 years as one of Norfolk’s most important cultural assets, this position offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate to advance the work of a dynamic theater company by expanding its fundraising and donor relations activities.
About Virginia Stage Company
VSC is a professional regional theater producing high-quality productions at the Historic Wells Theatre in downtown Norfolk, VA. Founded in 1978 by community members who had a deep desire to make theatre a part of the area’s cultural life, VSC continues to enhance the artistic landscape of Hampton Roads with seven mainstage productions every season in addition to numerous education & community engagement initiatives. With an average annual attendance of 58,000+ people, VSC has drawn over 3 million patrons to downtown Norfolk in the past quarter century and is the leading theatre of note in southeastern Virginia. VSC has a reputation for creating engaging and highly inventive productions onstage and beyond the walls of the theatre, reaching a wider and more diverse audience. VSC’s mission is to enrich, educate, and entertain the region by creating and producing theatrical art of the highest quality.
Virginia Stage Company strives for an inclusive work environment and actively embraces a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups in our community to apply.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Development will be responsible for articulating, planning and overseeing the implementation of a comprehensive development plan for all sources of contributed revenue, including the Board, individuals, foundations, corporations and government. This position will also be responsible for overseeing the next phases of a comprehensive capital and endowment campaign. The Director of Development will manage two direct reports, the Development Manager (FT) and Development Associate (PT).
Responsibilities include major donor prospect identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; design, oversight and implementation of the annual gala event; managing a series of donor cultivation events throughout the calendar year; oversight of all institutional giving and grant writing. A successful candidate will be expected to spend significant time meeting, communicating and building relationships with key individuals and organizations.
In addition, the Director of Development will:
- Oversee all planning, budgeting and strategy for the Annual Fund campaign
- Manage and assign all donor portfolios
- Implement and maintain cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for individual donors and members (subscribers)
- In conjunction with the Managing Director, develop a strategy for corporate support
- In conjunction with the Grant Writer, support and oversee research, submissions and compliance for all corporate, government and foundation grants
- Provide oversight and coordination of VSC’s Capital and Endowment Campaign, including involvement of Board leadership and capital campaign consultants (when engaged)
- Develop a planned giving program to grow the Ovation Society and steward current members
- Serve as liaison for and nurture relationships with the Board of Trustees and Advisory Council
- Serve as the staff lead for the Board of Trustees development committee, participating in the nomination, recruitment, onboarding and retention of new trustees
- Supervise the creation and timely execution of all fundraising materials including member solicitations and donor acknowledgements
- Work in partnership with the marketing team to ensure brand consistency in communications to all stakeholders
- In collaboration with operations team, plan and implement special events with successful fundraising results
- Oversee database management, ensuring that accurate and detailed records are maintained, including contact reports, giving history, donor demographics, etc.
- Support volunteer fundraising and advocacy efforts by the Virginia Stage Associates
- Work with the executive team to create a coordinated advocacy effort for the company both within the local community and on the national level
- Marshall the varied resources and diverse talents of VSC’s board, staff and artists to aid in achieving contributed income goals
Qualifications & Experience
The Director of Development will:
- Demonstrate a successful track record of fundraising with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the non-profit development sector, preferably in the arts
- Demonstrate competency in the creation and implementation of a development plan
- Possess excellent planning, analytical and project management skills
- Have supervisory experience and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Exhibit experience with Microsoft Office suite, Tessitura development software or similar donor database software, Google Docs, and video conferencing
- Be able to interface with diverse stakeholders successfully, including board members, other senior staff and the public
- Possess excellent organizational, written/oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Boast demonstrated experience in working with volunteers and committees
- Display creative and strategic thinking, with an ability to grasp the organization’s big picture vision
- Be a highly motivated self-starter, with the ability to work as part of a small, but very dedicated team
- Demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and strong work ethic
- Manage deadlines effectively and work successfully under pressure
- Possess the ability to handle complex situations with tact and poise, appropriately representing the company in our community
- Enthusiastically participate in the “all hands on deck” nature of non-profit work
- Have a good sense of humor and want to be a key player in the advancement of the company
- Believe art makes our world a better place
An ideal Director of Development candidate will:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrate a successful track record of fundraising with 5 years of experience in the non-profit development sector, preferably in the arts
- Have obtained (or be in process of obtaining) CFRE designation
- Possess advanced experience with Microsoft Office suite, a CRM development software, Google Docs and video conferencing
This is a full-time, exempt position which will require the ability to work weekends and nights with regularity. A competitive salary – ranging $70,000-$75,000 - and benefits package will be commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include paid time off, medical coverage with modest employee share, free parking and other coverages.
Virginia Stage Company strives for an inclusive work environment and actively embraces a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Virginia Stage Company
PO Box 3770
Norfolk, VA 23514
Please include “Director of Development Search: LAST NAME” in Subject Line
No telephone calls, please.