Company: The Up Center
Date posted: April 20, 2021
The Up Center (formerly Child & Family Services of Eastern Virginia) has served the Hampton Roads community for more than 135 years. Our mission is to protect children, strengthen families, empower people in crisis, and maximize independence for those with disabilities. Through our exciting partnership with Cohen Veterans Network (CVN) we are fulfilling our mission by providing accessible, evidence-based mental health services for veterans and military families at our Virginia Beach Military Family Clinic.
Position: Development Manager
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Supervisor: The Up Center Chief Development Officer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary: $45,000 to $50,000
Reporting to The Up Center Chief Development Officer and working closely with the President & CEO and our fundraising consultants (The Curtis Group), the Military Family Clinic Development Manager will play a crucial role in fund development for The Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic at The Up Center. As a member of The Up Center’s development team, the Military Family Clinic Development Manager will be responsible for helping to meet clinic budgeted revenue goals by supporting its campaign and efforts to establish an ongoing, major-gift-focused fundraising program. The successful candidate will assist our President & CEO and volunteers in their pursuit of major gifts for the Military Family Clinic, while also building and managing their own portfolio through identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals, foundations and corporations.
The Development Manager is an on-site in-person job. Candidates are expected to work out of the clinic in Virginia Beach. This is not a remote position. All COVID protocols are and will be continue followed in accordance with the CDC and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Helps with developing and executing strategies to raise funds for the Military Family Clinic.
- Oversees portfolio of donors and prospects
- Collaborates in fundraising strategy discussions with staff and partners
- Participates in prospective donor solicitations in person, virtually and by phone
- Aids President & CEO, Chief Development Officer, clinic staff and fundraising volunteers in securing major gift commitments
- Assists with cultivation and stewardship of donors and prospects by:
- Conducting prospect research
- Identifying and qualifying prospect leads
- Setting donor meetings for President & CEO and volunteers
- Participating in personal conversations and meetings with donors and prospects
- Helping develop and execute individualized fundraising plans for major gift donors
- Coordinating with President & CEO, staff and volunteers after donor visits to ensure the appropriate follow up is completed
- Prioritizing relationship-based fundraising techniques
- Sending timely and personalized correspondence
- Works with The Up Center development team to ensure donor data in Bloomerang for the Military Family Clinic is being accurately entered and maintained.
- Increases visibility of the Military Family Clinic externally by engaging with donors, prospects and community stakeholders throughout Hampton Roads to support the clinic’s work.
- Works with the Chief Development Officer to create and manage all donor communications and appeals for the Military Family Clinic.
-Helps plan and implement special events for the Military Family Clinic and its fundraising efforts.
- Represents the Military Family Clinic and The Up Center at community events, donor meetings and other conversations, etc. in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two or more years fundraising experience.
- Connection to the military and veterans preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with skills and experience in donor database management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interact, build and maintain productive relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, including board members, donors, community members, staff and volunteers.
- Exceptionally detail oriented, organized and self-motivated.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team, manage multiple tasks and deadlines and function calmly and professionally in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about opportunities to raise funds and in responding to unplanned events.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Must be willing to travel throughout Hampton Roads, including weekly travel between Norfolk and Virginia Beach; therefore, the successful candidate must have and maintain a driver’s license, vehicle and working cell phone.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Tristan Carter Warren at email@example.com by May 14, 2021. No phone calls please.
The Up Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, military, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.