AFP offers a number of educational opportunities especially for the experienced fundraising practitioner. These opportunities address both the practical skills and theoretical understanding required of advanced-level fundraisers. Visit the CFRE International website.What is the CFRE?The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential demonstrates an individual’s mastery of the standards set for core knowledge and skills required of fundraising executives after five years of experience. This practice-based designation requires demonstration of having met these standards through both an application and a written examination.The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential provides you with a recognizable demonstration of your personal and professional achievement and commitment.Who administers/recognizes the CFRE?The CFRE Program is governed by the CFRE Professional Certification Board. The program and the board is administered in cooperation with leading philanthropic associations:
CFRE Refresher Course
- Association of Christian Development Professionals (ACDP)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Association of Fundraising Consultants (AFC)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Association Canadienne des Professionnels en dons Planifies (ACPDP)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- Fundraising Institute Australia (FIA)
- Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
- International Catholic Stewardship Council (ICSC)
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- North American YMCA Development Organization (NAYDO)
- Philanthropic Services for Institutions (PSI)
- United Way of America
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course takes a new approach that asks participants to apply fundraising theory, skills, and techniques within the six knowledge domains of the field, based on three or more years of professional experience in fundraising. This course is a combination of a high-level review, self-exploration of knowledge, and peer exchange of best practices – all of which are facilitated by a knowledgeable fundraising practitioner. It is not presented in a lecture format.
Please note: the AFP CFRE Refresher Course is designed to be a “refresher,” not an in-depth review of the domains. It is designed both to help refresh the knowledge each participant already has and to help that individual identify gaps in their knowledge. Participants do this by working through abbreviated case studies referred to as “caselets.” Participation in the course may assist individuals in learning or reviewing concepts covered on the CFRE exam, but it is not a preparatory course for the CFRE exam.
If you would like more information on this course, please contact Lori at email@example.com
What is the ACFRE?The Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive Program is administered by the ACFRE Professional Certification Board.Certification as ACFRE requires successful completion of four stages of the process, which must be completed sequentially: a written application, a written examination, a portfolio review, and an oral peer review.What opportunities meet the ACFRE requirements?Candidates for ACFRE Professional Certification should be aware that not all "advanced" or "senior executive" continuing education opportunities are acceptable for the ACFRE application process.To be eligible, such activities must address one or more specific topics in Advanced Organizational Management or Advanced Organizational Leadership, as described in the ACFRE Application and Guidelines.What criteria do I need to satisfy?Those interested in pursuing an ACFRE certification must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 10 years of experience in professional fundraising.
- Currently have or hope to attain a leadership or managerial role in philanthropy.
- Want to expand their knowledge and understanding of fundraising history, philosophy, and theory beyond a basic level, and/or
- Have identified the ACFRE designation as a career objective.
Interested in providing scholarships to ensure CFRE & ACFRE remain accessible?
Please contact Sponsorship & Stewardship Chair Stephanie Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss corporate partnership. Or click here for more info.