February 8, 2024
DIRECTOR OF ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY
N M Bodecker Creative Foundation
Join the N M Bodecker Creative Foundation (NMB) and Sandy Bodecker Project, Inc (SBP) (collectively Bodecker Foundation) as the organization’s first Director of Advancement! Our collaborative and creative team is looking for an experienced development professional to join us in forwarding the organization’s mission. At Bodecker Foundation we provide creative, welcoming, safe communities where youth can realize the power of their own creativity, within our extraordinary gathering place. NMB and SBP are growing organizations still exploring what’s possible and where we can have the most impact. In this role you will be a pivotal leader and strategic thought partner, developing and executing on a fundraising and communications strategy to reach donors and partners who connect with and would support the Foundation’s mission.
Driven by curiosity, ambition, and a healthy dose of irreverence, NMB’s founder Sandy Bodecker sought to make positive change in the world at large, and our organization reflects those same goals. This is an out-of-the-box organization, founded by an out-of-the-box innovator, looking for an out-of-the-box fundraiser! If you are an advancement professional who has a passion for helping young people unlock their creative talents and are excited about sharing that mission, please apply. We would love to talk to you!
Position located in Portland, OR. Read the full announcement here.
Applications will be considered as soon as they are submitted; interviewing will begin in March. Applications submitted by March 11, 2024 will be given full consideration
Anticipated salary range: $110,000 - $130,000 per year
About the N M Bodecker Creative Foundation and the Sandy Bodecker Project, Inc.
NMB’s Mission: To spark young people to realize their creative power through immersive learning experiences.
SBP’s Mission: To amplify the voices, ideas, and creativity of a new generation of problem solvers.
Sandy Bodecker, Co-founder of N M Bodecker Creative Foundation, was Nike’s legendary VP of Special Projects. He was the creative force behind Nike SB, soccer, and running, including Breaking2. Sandy lived by the personal ethos of Respect the Past; Embrace the Future. Sandy was about bringing the unaffiliated into the world of creativity through sport, but his vision for working with youth, to give them the opportunity to try things and learn and discover their creative talents, was always at the heart of things.
The Bodecker Foundation partners with professional artists, writers, musicians, and educators to design and lead high school students in immersive program experiences in the areas of music, skateboarding, art, and design, among other disciplines. Threaded throughout is an interdisciplinary practice that encourages collaboration and inclusivity. We know from experience that sometimes, when your artistic expression isn’t fully recognized by the people around you, you can feel like you’re on the outside looking in. At Bodecker Foundation, we call young people in, encouraging and validating their creativity and right to be who they are.
Our youth programs offer young people the opportunity to work with professional artists, writers, musicians, and educators who share their passions in art and design, creative writing, songwriting, audio recording/engineering, skate culture, film/video, sneaker and apparel design and more.
The Bodecker Foundation offers scholarships to high school seniors who are pursuing undergraduate degrees in art, design, music, or other creative disciplines at an accredited post-secondary college or university in the United States.
Halfling Studio is an on-site, state-of-the-art analog and digital recording facility. Studio revenue directly funds Bodecker Foundation’s music workshops and student programs. Artists including The Decemberists, Portugal. The Man, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Kim Gordon, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Patterson Hood (Drive by Truckers), Sleater Kinney, Thomas Lauderdale (Pink Martini), and Dame D.O.L.L.A have all recorded at Halfling Studio.
Our work is carried out by two closely affiliated organizations: the N M Bodecker Creative Foundation, a 501c3 private operating foundation charitable trust, and the Sandy Bodecker Project, Inc., a 501c3 public charity. The Director of Advancement will be working to support and advance both entities.
These two organizations are currently staffed by a small but mighty team of 4 people, including a Co-founder/Trustee, Studio Engineer and Manager, Youth Programs Coordinator and a Scholarships and Programs Associate. Each organization currently has a board of 3. The current annual operating budget of combined organizations is $650K, a number we hope will grow as we turn our energies towards advancement. For more information, see our website at https://bodeckerfoundation.org/
What You Will Do As the Director of Advancement
As the Bodecker Foundation’s first Director of Advancement, you will bring your development and marketing expertise to our organization and help us create a development and communications strategy that clearly reflects our purpose and connects with our community. Your leadership will help us to shape the many creative and exciting possibilities for our future into actionable and sustainable plans. You will:
● Exercise your fundraising chops by building a diversified fund development plan, including earned income streams, and aligning the organization’s marketing and communications plan to support those development efforts.
● Act as a thought partner with the Co-founder/Trustee to strategically grow and steer the organization(s) towards a sustainable future
● Work with the Co-founder and the board to represent NMB and SBP in cultivating new and existing donor relationships, creating pathways for increased financial support.
● Lead fundraising efforts as a public face of NMB and SBP.
As Director of Advancement, you will report to the Co-founder/Trustee of NMB, and will also work closely with the Board of Directors of SBP and the program staff. So although you will be an advancement department of one, you will not work all alone! The Bodecker team is committed to working together and supporting each other to do what is needed to serve our mission and all the young people in our programs.
Working as Part of Our Team
The Bodecker Foundation team has a friendly and informal professional work culture, where people work both collaboratively and independently in a kind and supportive environment. We are a learning organization where things move and change quickly; we value both hard work and having fun. We are
● Flexible: Our decisions are informed by the effectiveness of our programs and we aren’t afraid to pivot
● Passionate about the arts: We are a team of artists and educators who value creating safe spaces for kids to express their creativity
● Community centric: Our programs come from being aware of what’s going on in the field and the community
● Ready to pitch in and help: as a small team, we all understand that we all need to do our part to be successful
● Present: This is a hybrid role, spending time in the office with the team and seeing our programs in action is what keeps us all going!
Could This Be You?
The Bodecker Foundation’s first Director of Advancement will have a passion for the transformative power of creative and artistic pursuits for young people. We are seeking
● An experienced development professional with 5+ years of experience in advancement work
● A strategic thinker who can see the big picture goals and help design a plan that gets us there
● A collaborative team player who can work in close partnership with the Co-founder/Trustee to raise money together, and who is comfortable working independently as the only dedicated advancement staff at this time
● A confident asker who ideally has experience making six-figure asks
● A compelling storyteller who can clearly articulate NMB and SBP’s impact to different audiences, including donors, school partners, and community leaders
● A creative fundraiser who is able to both pull from traditional fundraising experience and ideate on innovative ways to inspire a unique set of donors and funding partners
● An experienced communicator and marketer who is comfortable creating content for donor outreach
● An entrepreneurial builder who understands that growth may take time, and who is willing to stay the course, try new approaches, and see things to fruition
At the Bodecker Foundation, we recognize that there are many potential paths to success in life, and everyone has strengths and areas to grow. If you can see yourself in this list and as part of our team, we hope you will apply!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position and the expected salary range is between $110,000-$130,000, depending on qualifications and experience. This role requires a willingness to work some evenings and weekends and occasional travel throughout the state of Oregon.
● Background check required
● This is a person-centered position. Physical presence in Portland is required
The Bodecker Foundation offers 20 days of PTO, 11 holidays, and is closed between Christmas Eve and New Years Day. We also offer a generous contribution towards medical and dental insurance, matching Simple IRA contributions, short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance.
Bodecker Foundation is located at 2360 NW Quimby Street, in Portland’s Slabtown/Alphabet District neighborhood.
Commitment to Equity
Bodecker Foundation believes in the dignity and intrinsic worth of every human being. We welcome and prioritize the participation of Black, Brown, Indigenous and other students of color, as well as immigrants and refugees, queer and trans youth, people with disabilities and all intersections therein. No matter where you are from, Bodecker Foundation is dedicated to creating a place where all people can be sparked to realize their creative power.
How to Apply
Online applications only, please no email or paper submissions. You will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please describe how your experience and interests are a fit with the Bodecker Foundation’s goals and mission for the future as described in this announcement.
Applications received by March 11 will be given full consideration; early applications are strongly encouraged! All applications will be acknowledged via an email receipt. Consideration will be given to applications as soon as they are received; interviewing will begin in mid-March.
Questions regarding this opportunity are welcomed and can be directed to Sumi Bhat-Kincaid of Clover Search Works, contact information in the full announcement.