AFP South Sound (AFPSS) is fortunate to have many engaged members who make our chapter great! The dedicated members of our chapter committees volunteer their time to assure that we are a success. Committee members have the opportunity to learn, contribute, and shape our chapter.
Committees are always looking for additional volunteers, and serving is a great way to give back to your local AFP chapter and get to know others in the chapter more closely. If you would like to join any of the committees below, please contact email@example.com.
The IDEA Committee works to expand inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) in fundraising in the South Sound.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of the month, 4:00 pm
- Members: Kyle Franklin, Good Samaritan Foundation | MultiCare Health System; Jennifer Li Dotson, National Bureau of Asian Research; Emily Mendez-Bryant, United Way of Pierce County; Miranda Martens, PEACE Community Center; Rev. Bianca Davis-Lovelace, REACH (Renton Ecumenical Association of Churches); Robin Webster, Museum of Flight
- Chair: Jill Rose CFRE, PCAF
Marketing and Communications Committee
The Marketing and Communications Committee shares and promotes chapter opportunities to learn, network and grow; shares resources and information with our members; and increases the visibility of AFP South Sound in our region.
"AFP South Sound has been an incredible resource for education, networking, and community building since I first joined the fundraising world. I've loved deepening my knowledge and growing my connections each year. Joining our chapter board was an obvious choice in terms of leadership opportunities - it's easy to serve an organization whose mission you believe in! I'm excited to keep pushing boundaries in our sector and keep working with my colleagues to encourage community-centric fundraising in our community." — Mary Brickle, Marketing and Communications Committee Co-Chair
“AFP has been an incredible networking and educational resource for young and seasoned fundraising professionals. I am very fortunate to join such an amazing and diverse community and be able to gain new skills that are crucial for a nonprofit sector and share my own fundraising journey”
— Sabina Ibragimova Bartlett, Marketing and Communications Committee Co-Chair
The Membership Committee aims to attract, engage and retain members to AFP South Sound. We do this by spreading the word about the impact of our chapter, asking people to participate, and offering opportunities to be involved.
- Meeting schedule: Third Friday of the month, 8 am
- Members: Sally Glover, South Sound Care; Sue Loiland, Pacific Lutheran University; Teddy Wingo, Pacific Lutheran University
- Chair: Jennie Griek, Greentrike
The Program Committee seeks to inspire and inform greater professionalism in fundraising practice by planning a diverse mix of educational programs that appeal to our members and friends. Our committee seeks CFRE-approved topics and presenters on par with those at national conferences. We coordinate with the other committees to ensure that AFP South Sound programming and events complement one another and meet ongoing needs for professional knowledge, networking and development. We invite you to join one of our meetings should you be considering service to the chapter. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month, 12 pm
- Members: Angela Beard, City University of Seattle; Jan Brazzell, Advancement Consulting; Rev. Bianca Davis-Lovelace, REACH (Renton Ecumenical Association of Churches); Jim Hushagen, The Philanthropy Collective; Laura Rose, Charles Wright Academy
- Co-Chairs: Lee Warnecke, University of Puget Sound; Ruth Tollefson, Amara; Missy Zenczak Candler, United Way of Pierce County
The South Sound Philanthropy Summit Committee is a joint project of AFP South Sound (AFP SS) and the South Sound Planned Giving Council (SSPGC) formed to plan and execute the annual South Sound Philanthropy Summit. The goal of the Summit is to bring together development, allied professionals, and philanthropists for a day of education and networking.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month; bimonthly Aug/Sept pre-event
- Members: Shelley Buck, Foundations of MultiCare; Kim Cacace, BNY Mellon Wealth Management; Robin Callahan, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation; Al Hove, Phoenix Risen Consulting; Tamar Jackson, Workforce Central; JR Nobles, Friends of the Children; Rick Oldenburg, Oldenburg & Associations; Doug Page, Pacific Lutheran University; James Plourde, JP Fundraising Solutions; Mindie Reule, The Community Foundation of South Puget Sound; Evelyn Ryberg, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation; Desiree Wilkins-Finch, Rise LWP
- Co-Chairs: Emily Happy, The Philanthropy Collective (AFPSS) and Todd Blodgett, Eisenhower Carlson (SSPGC)
"AFP South Sound is my go-to for superior development education. Along with the growth and learning comes the camaraderie of many caring professionals-- we are truly a collaborative and supportive community. It is my privilege to serve on the board and lead the South Sound Philanthropy Summit committee efforts."— Emily Happy, Summit Committee Co-Chair
Emerging Professionals Group
AFP South Sound is excited to introduce the Emerging Fundraisers Group (EFG). Whether you're a young professional or new to the fundraising profession, the Emerging Fundraisers Group serves to create a strong community of colleagues to strengthen our collective future. The EFG will meet every other month via Zoom to discuss relevant issues, share best practices and build community among emerging fundraising professionals in our area.
The purpose of the Emerging Fundraisers Group (EFG) is to create a strong community of new fundraisers within the AFP South Sound chapter. EFG provides educational and networking opportunities with the aim to strengthen the future of the fundraising profession in the South Sound area.
Meeting Schedule: Every other month via Zoom 8:30-9:30 am
Facilitator: Ali Bessee, Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound
"As someone new in their organization and new to the South Sound area, launching this group of like-minded emerging fundraisers to build community and share best practices is my number one goal." Ali Bessee, EFG Facilitator