Position Title: Executive Director
Position Level: Senior
Salary: $100,000 - $120,000
Posting Date: April 19, 2023
At Bethany House we support women, and women with children, experiencing homelessness, through transition to stability. We begin by providing shelter, and meeting the basic needs of our guests, in a welcoming and safe, home-like setting. We offer programs which provide a continuum of care that starts with emergency shelter, moves into transitional housing, and culminates in permanent housing and greater self-sufficiency. Ultimately, we strive for our guests and their children to experience a sense of self-worth and belonging in response to their experience with our dedicated staff and volunteers. Bethany House is built on a foundation of community support and partnerships, that include government agencies, faith-based organizations, non- profit service providers, colleges and universities as well as corporate sponsors and foundations.
The Executor Director (ED) of Bethany House is responsible for continued progress toward achieving Bethany House’s mission while maintaining its core values and dedication to homeless women, their children and the myriad of issues that impact housing insecurity on Long Island. The ED is responsible for overseeing all day-to day operations; implementation of Board policies; advising the Board regarding strategic direction and organizational development; fundraising; budget management; adherence to licensure and certification requirements; financial planning and program development and evaluation. Additionally, the ED is the principal public face for the organization and represents Bethany House in multiple local, state and national venues. The ED should also have a passion for social work, working directly with people and solving together with a team for issues at hand on an ongoing basis. The ED should be motivated by the rewarding work Bethany House has done, and will continue to do in the future; there is opportunity for growth, and expansion with demonstrated hunger and passion for additional opportunities.
· Masters’ Degree in Social Work or Business Administration or equivalent
· Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with residential services and homeless women and children, and associated resources related to homelessness and poverty on Long Island
· Executive leadership experience in a human services agency
· Organizational skills, including demonstrated attention to detail
· Ability to understand and analyze financial data
· Ability to maintain effectiveness in diverse environments and with varying tasks, responsibilities, or people
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to provide vision for Bethany House
· Demonstrated experience in fundraising, and grantsmanship
· Demonstrated computer skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Board Administration and Support Responsibilities
· Works for and within Board-developed parameters for ED Delegation as stated in Board Policy Manual
· Maintains and oversees all records for the organization, including overseeing database maintenance, resident records, timely billing of DSS, statistics, etc.
· Oversees the tracking of organizational funds and provides financial reports to the Board on a regular basis, and as requested. These will include an annual end-of-year financial report
· Works with the Board [and specifically with the Secretary-Treasurer and the Budget Committee] to establish an annual budget for Bethany and all required materials for the annual fiscal audit.
· Oversees insurance needs of the agency
· Serves as staff support to the Board of Directors
· Sits on all Board Committees of the Corporation (PDC, QIC, DCC, GGRC, FEC, FC).
· Provides leadership in facilitating ideas, programs and activities to allow for Bethany to live into its mission, further its goals and provide impactful services to the women and children who receive services on a daily basis
· Directs multi-year planning process in order to accomplish strategic goals
· Other administrative duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Program and Human Resource Management Responsibilities
• Oversees the Supervision of Staff
• Supports direct care staff in day-to-day incident resolution when needed
• Creates a working environment that is collaborative and supportive in challenging situations while holding to a framework that protects the safety and health of guests and employees
• Ensures that all employees perform at a professional level; provides staff development opportunities as needed
• Oversees employee compensation and benefits
• Administers operations and communications of the organization
• Acts as executive fiscal agent for the organization, managing and collaborating with the Director of Finance to ensure all required disclosures are completed in a timely and accurate manner
• Advocates with Nassau County Department of Social Services and the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) for sustainable rates of reimbursement and program design
• Fills staff positions approved by Board of Directors with the best possible candidates; oversees the termination of staff as appropriate
• Oversees the engagement of all outside consultants and ensure those relationships are managed within a scope of work, budget, and purpose
Public Relations and Fundraising Responsibilities
· Directly engaged in marketing activities and events for Bethany House
· Develops strong relationships with supporters, including individual donors, local community and religious organizations, government partners, local universities, local elected officials, and other agencies serving the homeless
· Cultivates potential donors; expands fundraising capacity in annual, endowment, and capital campaign giving
· Builds a positive fundraising culture within the Board and staff
· Works to further awareness of Bethany House among potential patrons by implementing effective marketing efforts.
· Office is located in Baldwin; shelters are located in Roosevelt and Baldwin; field work primarily in Nassau County interfacing with government, donors, supporters; some business conducted via Zoom
· Monday-Friday full-time position with some weekend or evening events; must be responsive to emergency emails and phone calls outside of standard business hours.
Please forward all resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org