The Akron Urban League is looking for a full-time Fund Development Associate to join their team in an exciting time of organizational growth and development. The role reports directly to the Director of Fund Development while working closely with other members of the AUL team. The Development Associate will be responsible for drafting, editing, and submitting written content for grant proposals, reports, and other materials to successfully secure revenue/operating support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and governmental grants. The ideal candidate will be an active listener and engaging storyteller, able to build authentic connections with current and prospective funders. They will also be skilled at research in order to identify other available funding revenues that AUL should pursue.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop compelling grant proposals in compliance with grantor guidelines and deadlines, working in partnership with AUL’s program teams as necessary.
• Develop grant proposals and letters of inquiry to foundations and other grant-making organizations, persuasively communicating the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders.
• Continuously improve the quality of proposals and reports to increase our level of funding.
• Assist with innovative ways of raising increased funding from foundations, corporations, individuals, government agencies and other sources.
• Identify and research new potential funders on an ongoing basis.
• Participates in key meetings and solicitations with potential donors identified by the DFD.
• Develop relationships with donors, the philanthropic community and key stakeholders and participate in community events to represent the Agency.
• Prepares the monthly board Fund Development Committee meeting minutes for review by the DFD, CEO and Board Fund Development Committee Chair. Work closely with the board Fund Development Chair on fundraising functions.
• Respond to ongoing requests for supplemental information and data from funders.
• Maintain a calendar/grant tracking system to ensure timely completion of all proposals and reports, adhering to all required funder deadlines.
• Take a lead role with the DFD to successfully manage and plan all of the agency’s annual Special Events, as well as the Justice & Equality Giving Society.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Sales, Communications, or related field
• 3-5 years’ work experience, preferably in nonprofit fundraising, grant writing, reporting and special events planning and management
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to be authentic and approachable, and can garner trust among peers, staff, donors, Board, etc.
• Proficient in donor tracking via fund development CRM software (Salsa Labs, Raiser’s Edge, etc.)
• Ability to build relationships with diverse individuals and groups
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• The ability to craft proposals and reports that are clear, compelling, and persuasive
• The capacity to edit existing copy from a variety of sources to create a cohesive message
• Highly proficient in computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite and experience navigating within
different foundation grant submission portals.
• Understand how to recognize donors through multiple platforms
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, do-it-yourself environment
• The capacity to multitask and manage multiple projects and assignments, often with competing
• Ability to remain focused, results oriented and decisive
• Strategic thinking skills with good judgment
• Some experience with Photo Shop/Canva/other graphic design software a major plus!
MUST embrace and exhibit personal qualities of honesty, respect, empathy, integrity, credibility, with a commitment to the Akron Urban League’s mission. Our focus is always to operate from a STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE.
Pay Rate: Salary commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, Life, 403B, Paid Time Off, Holidays
Posting Dates: Open until filled
SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
AKRON URBAN LEAGUE
Human Resources Department, Attn: Becki Moorer, 440 Vernon Odom Blvd., Akron, Ohio 44307
Or, Email resume to: email@example.com
NO PHONE CALLS. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Applications/resumes are kept on file for 6-months.
Equal Opportunity Employer